• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do you have a stroker engine?

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
Do you have a stroker engine? Do you like it? Would you do it all over again? Was it an easy swap? What kind of MPG's do you get? Do you have to use 91 octane?

yes.
yes.
yes.
sort of.
18 city, 25 highway. (i run it hard around town)
no, i run 89.

if you plan on building it im a timely manner, expect to pay a good bit. if you dont give yourself a dead line and wait for deals you can build one very reasonably cheap.

Do you have a stroker engine? Do you like it? Would you do it all over again? Was it an easy swap? What kind of MPG's do you get? Do you have to use 91 octane?
Search, many have strokers and many have documented the build, the performance and their thoughts. There's some in here and some in Street and performance.

Yes,Yes,yes,yes,about 16 street 19 hwy.Stock cam. I run 87. Set my compression this way by dished pistions and deck the block method. Im right at 9.0:1 compression. Got ~30k miles on my DD. Got another motor coming together. Better parts, meatier cam(plan), custom pistons(plan), long rod(plan), chevy BB roller rockers(mods complete) but no chassis to put it into :(

Do you have a stroker engine? Had a 4.6L Do you like it? When it was running, yes. Would you do it all over again? Hell no!!! Was it an easy swap? Yes, but expensive. What kind of MPG's do you get? Varied with terrain, amount of weight being carried. Best MPG was around 21-22, worst was around 16. Do you have to use 91 octane? Yes.

For about tthe same amount of money as I spent on my original stroker build I was able to do a complete 5.3L swap.

For me it was a painfull and expensive lesson.

Yes,Yes,yes,yes,about 16 street 19 hwy.Stock cam. I run 87. Set my compression this way by dished pistions and deck the block method. Im right at 9.0:1 compression. Got ~30k miles on my DD. Got another motor coming together. Better parts, meatier cam(plan), custom pistons(plan), long rod(plan), chevy BB roller rockers(mods complete) but no chassis to put it into :(

Ooo! Ooo!..... There's a chassis in my driveway you can put it in. Umm, this assumes you don't want it back....

For about tthe same amount of money as I spent on my original stroker build I was able to do a complete 5.3L swap.

For me it was a painfull and expensive lesson.

did you build the engine yourself? I'm thinking of buying a Titan or Golen engine and dropping it in. That way everything should already be figured out for me.

did you build the engine yourself? I'm thinking of buying a Titan or Golen engine and dropping it in. That way everything should already be figured out for me.

Don't buy a Titan! :puke: bmyohn runs a Golen and its been flawless since the install! Its been about a year I think. If frank can do a 5.3 swap for the same price as his stroker I'd go that way! :D

Im getting a quote on doing a 4.9L Titan right now. We'll see how it goes. Titan seems to have a bad wrap from a while back but I think they've cleaned up their game to put out a decent product.

Yes. Love it. Will do it again for my brother and for the eliminator I picked up. It was an easy swap and awesome learning experience. 15-16 city, 18 highway(cause I drive 75-85, so 20mpg at 60 is feasible). I have to use 93, but that's the way I planned it when I built a high comp motor so I could squeeze as much power out of it($3-4 extra a fill-up is worth it).

big change from stock 4.0?

feel like a v8?

Thats what I've been wondering as well. My 87 Renix is getting pretty tired and I'm gonna have to do something within a year or so.

Seems like the four options are to:

1. Drop in a decent 4.0 H.O. -- cheap and will get some extra power, but I feel like if I'm doing an engine swap I want something more powerful than a stock motor - and some cool factor would be nice
2. Stroke my Renix, or get a JY H.O. and stroke that - I'm not smart enough to build my own stroker, so I'd have to pay a shop to do it for me - and at that price, I might as well go with option 3
3. Buy a "new" stroker from Golen or someone like that - I like this option cause I know it would be a quality engine - pricey though
4. Swap in the GM 5.3L V8 - tons and tons of cool factor, but there are so many things that need to be custom done on the swap - exhaust, engine mounts, fuel system, intake, etc etc etc and I'd have to get a new tranny and TC - and I just had my AW4 rebuilt and its working perfectly - I'd have to pay a shop to do all that work for me

For now, I'm just reading a lot of information, thinking, and saving my pennies. Hopefully next year I'll have made a decision, and will have enough money saved up.

yes
LOVE IT
sure, would probably do a different recipe
the swap was easy, the BUILD was my first motor, so it was slightly challenging. the actual install was a breeze
don't know, don't care, when it's empty, i fill it, it puts that much of a smile on my face
yes, 91 or 93 if they have it.

short-arm
.030 over pistons with moly rings
.020 off the deck
Comp 231 cam
crower cam saver lifters
fresh head with GM-performance beehive springs
cloyes true double roller timing set
Mopar performance .043 head gasket
Matched flow 24# ford injectors
(9.58:1 SCR, 8.38:1 DCR, 0.0606 quench)
pulls like an angry mule

Horsepower pushing in the high 200s, torque over 300lb-ft, faster than some 5.0 and 4.6 ponies--you could say it has v8-like power, but it has i-6 power!(you can keep your v8s)

Horsepower pushing in the high 200s, torque over 300lb-ft, faster than some 5.0 and 4.6 ponies--you could say it has v8-like power, but it has i-6 power!(you can keep your v8s)
i can attest to that. mine pulls just as hard as a buddies SVT focus. especially off the line, but even a stock 4.0 has great low end torque. was doing 110 before shifting into 5th. i suspect im running rich at high RPMs.

smaller than stock tires, AX-15, and 3.07s helps too though.

Back