• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Engine question

J Mo

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't gotten any service manual yet so need a little insight....

Went to change the serp belt on my recently aquired 96 4.0 I6. From the information I got from several places, I was prepared to loosen the Power Steering to get the belt off as indicated here:

ps1.jpg

and here:

ps2.jpg

My Power Steering does not have the bolts as shown - there are two on top that face towards the back of the jeep (bolt heads are towards the front) and a couple on the left side as you look at it from the front. None on the backhand side or below the PS pully.

So I did a little more research and it looks like I have an idler pully that loosens to take the Serp belt off as shown here:

99xjengine.gif

I have read that 97 and newer have an idler pully to loosen the belt. Is this correct? If so, does this mean that my engine is possibly a rebuilt engine? It's definitely an I6 and definitely a 96. Where am I getting confused on this?

I'm not going to swear this is fact, but I'm failry certain 96 was a transition year. Many of the pieces on my 96 are 95 (I've had to reorder numerous times) and I also have the idler pulley adjustment. I know on numerous occasions, what the book called for didn't fit, like the O2 sensor plugs for my 96 and other stuff.
I've even heard rumors of some 96's having a different PCM or rather some having the early and some the late (post 96). Though this may be just for the export models.

My 96 is the same as the last picture you posted. Loosen the idler pulley bolt slightly and then loosen the adjusting nut (15mm if I remember correctly).

my65289stang said:
My 96 is the same as the last picture you posted. Loosen the idler pulley bolt slightly and then loosen the adjusting nut (15mm if I remember correctly).

agreed , the first two pics are pre 96 ( notice the fuel return line )
last pic is accurate .

my65289stang said:
Same here. JIM.

I also have a 96 with PS pump belt tensioning.
I guess 96 was indeed a transition year.

Back