• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some reasurance... (guys with 96's post up)

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA need a little bit of reasurance before I plan to lift my junk. Found a couple answers but just want to Clarify...
I know every Jeep is different... but

1. What is the average lift height I can go on a 96' before I get vibs and need a Tcase drop or SYE (not a very good option atm because it's $900usd I don't have). Planning on RE 3.5", have an NP242 if that makes a difference.

2. What are the 96' wheel well sizes comparable to? Earlier years or later years? Don't want to hack up my wheel wells just yet... from what I have uncovered it seems that they are the biggest? Can someone clarify this?

Why not make your own 1" tcase drop, youre not going to lose much clearance, and it will make sure you dont have vibes.

Just make sure to address your tie rod, and all bolts are up to spec.

After the lift, go back and tighten EVERY bolt every week or so for the first month, will definitely lower your chances of experiences DEATH WOBBLE

Ive got a 3" lift on my 96 with a 1" tc drop no sye and have no vibes. each XJ is different though.Ive seen guys go as high as 4-1/2" of lift with no sye but I wouldnt recommend it. You gonna wheel this XJ or cruise the mall?

I dont think wheel wells are any different on any xj but I dont know for sure.

Yes it is going to get wheeled but I am sure I will see the odd snow bank at the mall this winter :p. Unfortunately for me the TC drop will be the way to go because I cannot afford extended down time with a SYE... (I could buy another tcase do the SYE to it and swap it in I guess) If I am lucky maybe I won't need it... Keep em coming, thanks so far.

The 96 t-case is a little different than earlier models, and has the slip-yoke external from the case. Therefore it already has a SYE 'stock' from the factory. Take a look under the 96, and you'll see what I mean. It's the same as the later models.

I previously had an 89, and the wheel wells look the same size as my 96. I think the bodies were the same as the older ones except for some structural stiffening.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
The 96 t-case is a little different than earlier models, and has the slip-yoke external from the case. Therefore it already has a SYE 'stock' from the factory. Take a look under the 96, and you'll see what I mean. It's the same as the later models.
I think it's different in terms of output shaft's seal. My '99 certainly doesn't have any kind of stock SYE.

I see this thing that sort of looks like a shock boot, and I am assuming that is what you are referring to as the factory "SYE"
So does this mean that I am less likely to have problems down the road? It is my understanding that the later model XJ's are more prone to vibrations but I was always told +97. And there is always reference to pre-95's and post 97' but never 96' LOL. Just some conflicting information I found but it's starting to become a little more clear...

1996 was the switch over year to the new body style, among other things. Some '96s were built in '95, and I would say that without checking things, it's a crapshoot knowing what you have simply by model year. Also keep in mind that Jeep is notorious for just using what's sitting around the plant. Several items on mine conflict with the factory build sheet.
To answer your questions, though, the boot is just used at the end of the yoke on the output to protect the splines from debris and help keep the grease in there. The boot in and of itself doesn't indicate anything, really.

Back