• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan leak

babyhuey

NAXJA Forum User
i recently replaced my rear main seal,timing chain and valve cover gasket but i still have a leak. i saw it leaking at the front of the oil pan where it seals to the timing cover before i resealed everything but it still leaks.

has anyone had any problems with the pan itself? it literally runs out!:hang:

Where is it running out? I had problems when I did an XJ with the standard multi-piece gasket, and it leaked at the main seal for some time. Eventually, it stopped or at least slowed way down, perhaps because enough crud built up or the gasket swelled or something. My daughter had the Jeep by then, and she never figured out why it stopped.

Many people recommend a single piece gasket as a cure for the problematic OEM one.

I have also had oil pans rust out. Make sure there isn't just a hole in it. And if you recently did the job, make sure it didn't get bent, or the flange distorted. If it's been seriously overtightened at some point in its life, the flange can get wavy, and it may need flattening.

i used a one piece gasket on it, its running out between the gasket and the pan right under the timing cover. i was thinking that the pan could be distorted, the previous owner had replace the gasket before i puchased it and by the looks of his other repairs could have damaged pan very easily.

looks like i'll just get a new one. this is what i figured, i just wanted some input.thanks

looks like i'll just get a new one. this is what i figured, i just wanted some input.thanks

Ball-peen hammer and a ledge of some kind.

Often times the holes on the pan for the mounting bolts become distorted from being tightened time and again. Set the edge of the pan on the edge of a work bench and use a small ball-peen hammer set against the hole and smack the face with another hammer to restore holes.

Use flange head bolts to spread the load a little more.

Ball-peen hammer and a ledge of some kind.

Often times the holes on the pan for the mounting bolts become distorted from being tightened time and again. Set the edge of the pan on the edge of a work bench and use a small ball-peen hammer set against the hole and smack the face with another hammer to restore holes.

Use flange head bolts to spread the load a little more.
I was thinking the same especially if it was overtightened. If you can find a metal bar or block to put between the hammer and the flange, it can help prevent damage.

Back