• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on trim design

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking about turning what I currently have... 89 Limited

mms_picture11.jpg

Into this...

89onblackrubisblacktrim.jpg

whitejeep89frontwithblack.jpg

Got a 3" lift in the garage that will eventually go on and getting a pretty decent deal on some 245/75/16 mud terrains.

Not looking for anything uber hardcore as my wife and I mainly hit up back roads, mountainy forest roads etc. Not into major rock crawling. Mild wheeler/daily driver.

The Jeep as you can tell came with the nasty gold trim package. Gonna take off the black cladding with the gold stripe and probably paint it black like in the Photoshopped pic.

Also thinking about painting the bumpers black as well. Don't have any plans for aftermarket/homebrew bumpers, but wanted to paint the factory ones since where the cladding is being pulled off, it's all yellowish from years of sun and the front has quite a few rock chips and don't wanna try to match the white paint.

Eventually when the Jeep gets entirely repainted i'd like to do bedliner on the bottom section, but for now, just black paint will suffice.

And probably some black LeBaron vents on the hood to add some sexiness and help some with cooling.

What are your thoughts on this design?

yep man it looks pretty good when they are done in that manner. do it. just remember the quality is determind more by your prep work than the paint.

Looks about right. I don't think I've ever seen anyone keep the flares body matched though, could look kinda cool.

Make sure you get all that molding glue off and do plenty of sanding. If you wanna keep your flares white, I would suggest removing them altogether, and re-installing them after. Saves you some masking and will look cleaner in the end.

And for the love of god don't use herculiner.

My wife likes the look of the flares the same color as the body is why they'll probably stay the same.

Not gonna use herculiner or anything like that yet.

Down the road in a couple years it'll get completely repainted, then i'll probably use some rubberized bedliner on the bottom part.

The molding glue is definately going to be completely gone. Just took the pic in the process of taking it off so I could Photoshop up what it will hopefully look like.

And prep work will be done. Don't want a shotty looking jobber done. This isn't a rock basher. More of a DD/weekend warrior/family rig so I want it to still look good.

Back