• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hose ID

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
So... in the process of removing my valve cover to install a new gasket, this hose decided it wanted to break on me.

What's it called so I can go purchase another one?

The green hose

greenhose.jpg

About midway down between where it enters the valve and where it goes into the T with the other half of it.

I'd rather just replace it than repair if it's not too much. The grommet where it goes into the valve was all jacked up too. Being from an 89, and still original OEM it was all sorts of weaksauce.

go to the junk yard and get a hose assembly from another jeep thats in good condition. you can try and replace just that peice, but its hard to take apart. the entire thing cost me 6 bucks at the yard. mine was broken at the valve cover on my 89. once i got the new one i realized some of the small lines were cracked aswell. made the jeep run better now aswell.
while you are at the junk yard, pick up the master and booster and pedal assembly from a 95/96 and get rid of all that renix antilock brake system you have there. they fail and will leave you with no brakes at all. a nation wide recall was done on those. very dangerous. if you want more info on it, PM me. plus the upgrade will give you better braking.

i beleive its called a PCV hose, positive crank ventilation. correct me if im wrong, they break all the time.

i picked up the gromet and elbow new at the dealer for like 10 bucks. easy fix... grab the old stuff and rip it all out with some pliers. the new stuff slides in really easy.

It appears the PCV hose is the one at the back of the valve cover... I need the green highlighted one in the front of the valve cover.

you are correct. the small line in the back of the valve cover is your pcv. the green highlighted line goes to your air box. if you dont want to get a whole new assembly, then just cut the broken area out and add a peice of rubber hose to replace it. not as clean looking, but does the job. like i suggested, go to the junk yard and get a new assembly. it takes a couple minutes to replace the entire thing, and will give you newer lines all around.

My only concern with getting one from another Jeep, being older, it might rip the grommet like it did on mine when I eventually got it out. Maybe i'll have luck with a somewhat new Cherokee =)

Oh, the hose patch 2stix suggested works well too.

That's the hose!

Thanks for the link. Looks like i'll be going to Napa a little later.

I can't do the hose fix it idea because the grommet got shredded when I pulled it from the valve cover as well.

Sucks that you gotta buy the whole unit and it's not just a one piece hose deal.

Any tricks to getting it apart from the rest of the assembly? Is it just a little clip on the side that holds it together?

You can find generic grommets and elbows in the "Help" section in any decent autoparts store. Many people choose to bypass that junction with individual sections of vacuum line. Later models did away with it entirely.

I was rooting around in a JY a while back and came across a victim of the CARS program where the previous owner recently replaced the both vacuum harnesses. I grabbed all of the vac lines for about $10.

As cruiser54 said, there are 2 clips, one on either side. It takes a bit of wiggling to get them to separate.

All of those lines become quite brittle with age--I can tell by your pressure bottle that you are probably a 90 or earlier.

Yes, that front hose you broke is just the filtered fresh air intake side of things and you could "patch" it quite easily.

If you order the harness from rockauto.com its like $18 each for the front and rear pieces, but with shipping the $24 each at NAPA becomes a lot more attractive. I would replace both halves if you have the funds.

Back