• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, leaking bleed screw...

9T3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I just finished replacing the rear breaks, wheel cylinders and all. I went to bleed the brakes and noticed one of the bleed screws is leaking.

Does this mean I have a bad wheel cylinder or a bad bleed screw?

And how does the bleed screw seal...is it the threads that seal or the taper on the end? Would a thread sealer help any?

TIA

Steel to steel tapered seat. When you "crack" the valve it moves away from the seat, this allows brake fluid to enter a passage in the valve so it can flow out.

You probably have some "crap" on the end of the valve or on the seat. Pull the bleeder out and clean the end of it and you need to check the seat, maybe clean it with a cotton swap or just spray some brake cleaner in it, it will be flushed out when you re-bleed the system.

Steel to steel tapered seat. When you "crack" the valve it moves away from the seat, this allows brake fluid to enter a passage in the valve so it can flow out.

Thanks, that's what I thought

You probably have some "crap" on the end of the valve or on the seat. Pull the bleeder out and clean the end of it and you need to check the seat, maybe clean it with a cotton swap or just spray some brake cleaner in it, it will be flushed out when you re-bleed the system.

Didn't think of this cuz it's all new stuff but I'll give it a shot.

X2 on what Joe said.

Also, if you are working alone, speed bleeders (bleeder valves with check valves built in) are GREAT. I forget what the rear bleeder screws are but the fronts, at least on an early 90s XJ/MJ, are 3/8x24 thread.

I was already thinking about picking up a couple of those speed bleeders, everybody seems to love them.

BTW, the rear bleeders are 5/16x24.

Do it, they're well worth the purchase price. I used to be the guy saying "one-person bleeding is easy even without them" and I'll never use anything but speed bleeders again...

Good to know about the rear bleeder thread, thanks.

Wow, looks like there are 3 different thread sizes for the rear drums... 1/4-28, 3/8-24, and 5/16-24.

9T3XJ must have the rear axle out of a 99-01 (or wheel cylinders for such) with 9" drums, either that or the parts store guys gave out the wrong parts.

EDIT: your mention of thread sealant made me think of something. Thread sealant will make it easier to bleed the brakes (since air won't sneak in around the threads) and that's why they put it on the speed bleeders from the factory.

http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com/category//

Shop around for the best prices, maybe summitracing.com or jegs.com, maybe eBay.

Thanks for the link but unfortunately I leave for Moab in two days and world like to have them before I leave.

kastein said:
Wow, looks like there are 3 different thread sizes for the rear drums... 1/4-28, 3/8-24, and 5/16-24.

9T3XJ must have the rear axle out of a 99-01 (or wheel cylinders for such) with 9" drums, either that or the parts store guys gave out the wrong parts.

EDIT: your mention of thread sealant made me think of something. Thread sealant will make it easier to bleed the brakes (since air won't sneak in around the threads) and that's why they put it on the speed bleeders from the factory.

When I searched I didn't see anything about the other two sizes, the only reference I found was to 5/16x24

Doesn't really matter anyways, I picked up a set of 5/16x24 speed bleeders for the rear today, went to put them in and they didn't fit. Went to Autozone where I bought the wheel cylinders and asked them to pull one, turns out the wheel cylinders they sell use metric M8x1.25 bleed screws.

Thanks for the link but unfortunately I leave for Moab in two days and world like to have them before I leave.

When I searched I didn't see anything about the other two sizes, the only reference I found was to 5/16x24

Doesn't really matter anyways, I picked up a set of 5/16x24 speed bleeders for the rear today, went to put them in and they didn't fit. Went to Autozone where I bought the wheel cylinders and asked them to pull one, turns out the wheel cylinders they sell use metric M8x1.25 bleed screws.

You have just got to love Vatozone and their oddball stuff (Chinese/India?). FYI there are four different M8x1.25 bleeders.

Yeah, the guy at the parts counter said the bleeder was probably changed to use a more common size, yet they had every standard size speed bleeder and only one metric size :sure:. To get the size I need was a special order part .

Back