• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M.O.R.E. rear bumper

No personal info on the bumper, but if you decide to buy one, call MORE and ask for a price on it. Last time I bought from them, the list prices on the web were about 10% higher then their direct sales prices.

Yeah I like how the swing arm is recessed into the bumper and not on top/outside of it. That latch mechanism looks pretty sweet too.

If you think a bumper's worth the coin, go ahead and get one. M.O.R.E. has a good rep. You can do a writeup for the rest of us! ;)

On a slightly different topic, if you do get a bumper with a tire carrier like that, figure out a way to add bracing to the rear frame/mounting points. There have been a couple threads where people have pulled heavy bumpers of the back and found the mounting points cracking off the frame.

If you think a bumper's worth the coin, go ahead and get one. M.O.R.E. has a good rep. You can do a writeup for the rest of us! ;)

On a slightly different topic, if you do get a bumper with a tire carrier like that, figure out a way to add bracing to the rear frame/mounting points. There have been a couple threads where people have pulled heavy bumpers of the back and found the mounting points cracking off the frame.

Even with the mounting brackets and reinforcement provided with the kit? Looks like there are the two brackets that bolt up the the stock bumper points and those are then tied into the bracket with the hitch-like mounting points? Are you talking about plating the rear of the "frame"?

Even with the mounting brackets and reinforcement provided with the kit? Looks like there are the two brackets that bolt up the the stock bumper points and those are then tied into the bracket with the hitch-like mounting points? Are you talking about plating the rear of the "frame"?
'Looked over the pic of the brackets. 'Not sure if they would solve the problem or not. The cracking I've seen was around the 4 weld-nuts on the endplate/cross member. I don't know if the supplied brackets would transfer the load to the bottom of the frame rails or if it would just cause the whole bumper to sway or pivot on the bottom mounts and still push/pull on the top bolts.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about plating the frame, I was thinking more along the lines of an angle bracket on each side of each frame rail , and attached to the backs of the weld nuts that the bumper bolts to, maybe by running long bolts through the bumper mount/weld nuts and double nutting the bracket to the back of the weld nuts.

Might not matter with the MORE mounts.

So I pulled the trigger and just ordered one. I had to take advantage of their 20% off sale. I've been looking for a rear bumper for a long time, and it seems every time I find one I like and I'm ready to buy, they stop making it (AEV, Durango), so I decided to jump on this while I had the chance.

Unfortunately I'm having it shipped back home to Virginia, and I'm stationed in Washington. I'll be home in a month on leave and I'm going to prep and paint the bumper, and then hopefully sometime this summer I'll get my reassignment back to Virginia and I can install it. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics though when I start prepping the bumper.

Got it today, it's a beast.
100_0360.jpg

100_0361.jpg

I really like how the tire carrier is drilled for both 5x4.5 and 5x5.5, and the length is adjustable for different wheel offsets.

100_0363.jpg

Notice the crossmember, this bolts to the two brackets that bolt to the stock bumper location and acts as nutserts.

100_0362.jpg

These are the brackets that bolt to the stock bumper location and have built in nutserts.

100_0364.jpg

The double bear-claw latch mechanism.

100_0365.jpg

Inside the driver side

100_0366.jpg

Inside the passenger side

100_0367.jpg

The brackets with the crossmember.

100_0368.jpg

Another angle.

Now I just gotta get my XJ back to VA to install it, hopefully in a few months.

Wow!

Awesome mounting!

I don't understand how other companies think it's ok to mount a heavy bumper to the crossmember only.

Back