• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle ID help

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ w/ AX15 and C8.25 rear (3.07)....

Had to do a fast rear axle assembly swap -- got a line on a JY 8.25 rear with 3.07's out of a 97 XJ. After installation, I see paint markings that look more like "92" than "97". Hard to read.
  1. Is there a way to ID the year of the axle w/o pulling shafts/counting splines? (Soooooo laaaaazy......)
  2. Did 92 XJ's even come with 8.25 / 3.07 rears?

i have noticed that on late model 8.25s they had a black and white sticker type tag wrapped arround the axle tube near one of the backing plates that stated the gear ratio (and possbily the spline count, i dont remember) where the pre 97s did not

97 XJ w/ AX15 and C8.25 rear (3.07)....

Had to do a fast rear axle assembly swap -- got a line on a JY 8.25 rear with 3.07's out of a 97 XJ. After installation, I see paint markings that look more like "92" than "97". Hard to read.
  1. Is there a way to ID the year of the axle w/o pulling shafts/counting splines? (Soooooo laaaaazy......)
  2. Did 92 XJ's even come with 8.25 / 3.07 rears?

according to this website http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html you could get a Chrysler 8.25 axle in 91-96 XJ (27 spline) but in 97+ XJs the Chrysler 8.25 were 29 spline

Back