• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal Valve Stems

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My valve stems on my cragars have all dry rotted and i need to replace them... i was wondering if anybody has used the high pressure/ heavy duty valve stems that are metal? seems like they would be much tougher and last longer but i'm guesting how they will hold up to trail use with rubbing/ scraping etc. and maybe getting bent where as the rubber would just flex? any input or experience?

My valve stems on my cragars have all dry rotted and i need to replace them... i was wondering if anybody has used the high pressure/ heavy duty valve stems that are metal? seems like they would be much tougher and last longer but i'm guesting how they will hold up to trail use with rubbing/ scraping etc. and maybe getting bent where as the rubber would just flex? any input or experience?
Bad idea IMO unless they are behind rock rings.
The first time you hit them on something they'll be leaking. Unlike a traditional rubber stem which can just fold over. Rubber stems aren't rock proof, but hold up better.
Just get the shortest rubber stem you can if you play in the rocks.

Back