• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88's as low as they go.......

x2elite

NAXJA Forum User
Are 4.88's as low as you can go in a Chryco 8.25? I would like to go around a 5.13-5.38, but I haven't seen any available anywhere.

Hmmmmm....... up until now I have never had issue with my 8.25, but I may just have to swap it for an 8.8 or D44 now. That sucks. I already have a D44 front, so I guess I will start looking for a 44 rear.

With either the 8.8 or D44 you can get gears to get you into that ~5.xx range.

I thought there were 5.38 gears for the 8.25? The D30 is limited to 4:88 but I thought there were more options for the 8.25. I haven't really checked because I don't plan on going lower with mine.

The 8.25 was limited to 4.56's until about a year ago when they made a 4.88 gear set for it. 4.88's is it for the 8.25. Like RCMan said, go for a D44 or 8.8 if you want 5.XX gears.

I already have a D44 in the front.... just need a new rear.

I already have a D44 in the front.... just need a new rear.

any particular reason for wanting the D44?
the 8.8 is arguably stronger and has gear sets as low as 6.14 available.

Do the 8.8 swap and get a stronger factory axle and the disc brakes. Not dealing with mud filled drums is a good thing.
It doesn't take a lot of money or skill. I think I had about $250 in my rear axle swap.

just picked up an Isuzu rodeo 96 rear Dana 44 with discs. Its standard 6 lug but thats where i'm going. 61" wms. it came with 4.30s but its a thick ring gear on the smaller carier. Just a thought.

i have a drum brake 8.8 waiting for my time and money to put in ha, much more common in my area than d44, exploders everywhere

Well I had an 8.8, but I have a D44 front, and it would be nice to have matching 44's just for the interchangeable parts.

Well I had an 8.8, but I have a D44 front, and it would be nice to have matching 44's just for the interchangeable parts.
While I see your point and would probably do the D44 as well in your situation really there aren't many parts that will swap front to rear.
Besides carrier and pinion bearings/shims, the carrier itself, pinion seal/yoke, diff cover, and the breather hose; there isn't anything that is going to swap from your HP D44 front to the rear LP D44.

i have a drum brake 8.8 waiting for my time and money to put in ha, much more common in my area than d44, exploders everywhere
Curious, why drum? drum vs disc costs the same at the junkyards near me, so I just picked one that had discs.

Just FYI...........

The Drum Brake 8.8 from older Ford Explorers have smaller inner axles (27 spline I think), where as the newer Disc Brake versions have a larger much stronger 31 spline inner axle.

The Drum Brake 8.8 is not as strong as the D44, and probably not much stronger than the stock 8.25.

-Chris

x2elite had a 8.8 i was goin to help him install. he decided he didnt want to was was goin to stick with the 8.25 so i bought it form him. it is sittin under mine now. now hes lookin into goin back to a 8.8 or a 44. dependin on price i say go 44 but if cost is goin to be so much more than the 8.8 i would say go back that route.

Back