• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD issues... engaging or not?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ, Command Trac, D30 front axle
  • "Part Time" does not light on the dash in any position.
  • With front wheels (axle) off the ground, shaft spins freely in 2WD.
  • In 4HI, shaft is locked; cannot be spun by hand.
  • In 4HI, front wheels cannot be spun by hand.
I have only dry pavement around me right now so "testing" 4WD isn't a good idea. I'm thinking it's just the light on the dash or whatever switch/wire activates it? (Where is it?) Also, there's a 1/2" OD rubber hose running from the back of the front diff, up the engine bay, and terminating near the firewall - with a plastic plug in it. Is this supposed to be a vent? Doesn't look OE to me . . .

Yup your 4wd is working. There is a switch on the T/C that activates the light.

Yes the rubber hose is a vent. I replaced the cap with a sintered bronze fuel filter for a small engine, it keeps more dirt out than the factory cap.

Sounds to me like you are good. That hose is a vent. Mine has it too. My dash indicator light doesn't work either. Your test of spinning the shaft and front wheels is proof that you are good. I'n not sure where the switch is, but when you find it, you could jumper arcross it with a wire or paper clip and see if the light works.

Switch is on the t-case,dont forget to check the bulb also!

97 XJ, Command Trac, D30 front axle
  • "Part Time" does not light on the dash in any position.
  • With front wheels (axle) off the ground, shaft spins freely in 2WD.
  • In 4HI, shaft is locked; cannot be spun by hand.
  • In 4HI, front wheels cannot be spun by hand.
I have only dry pavement around me right now so "testing" 4WD isn't a good idea. I'm thinking it's just the light on the dash or whatever switch/wire activates it? (Where is it?) Also, there's a 1/2" OD rubber hose running from the back of the front diff, up the engine bay, and terminating near the firewall - with a plastic plug in it. Is this supposed to be a vent? Doesn't look OE to me . . .
The small plastic plug is the vent cap, the top should rotate and if you pry a little, come off.

I agree that it sounds like your TC is working fine. The switch that lights the dashboard indicator is on top of the boss between the input shaft and the front output. If you find where the shift linkage enters the transfer case and look a couple inches up from there, you should see it.

Finally got around to addressing this. Pulled the old switch, and sure enough the connector was corroded. Blew it out with electrical connector cleaner and shot some dialectric grease in the terminals. Screwed in a new switch and now all is well with 4 wheel drive.
Simple but thorough.... another problem solved. :smoker:

Back