• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Before I do a 99+ intake swap

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...123372&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Before I do the install, I'm going to wait until I get an APN header and do it all at the same time. Before I do this, is there ANYTHING else I will need to make this take work on my 98 4.0 AW4??

Note, that this intake comes with NOTHING other than the intake itself! Thanks in advance!

Obviously I know I'll need a new gasket lol.

Putting a 99 intake on your 98, all you need is a gasket and intake, like you already know.

Take note, there are two tabs on the bottom of the intake that have holes in them. These holes are meant to slide over two dowels that come out of the side of the block. This is used to help align the intake properly. Make sure they are on all the way and lining up properly before you begin to torque the intake bolts. If they're not on, you WILL snap them (the tabs) off. I did this on a ZJ last month (my own fault for not paying attention). I got lucky in the fact that it didn't break off any of the intake that seals up to the head. When I helped a friend swap a 99 intake on to his 98 the very next day, we took extra care to make sure the holes were atleast lining up with the dowels. Doing this we tightened the bolts just a hair, then looked and felt to see if the dowels were sliding in. It was a very tight fit with the dowels and the 99 intake, so what we did was take a drill and enlarge the holes on the intake to help it fit better.

It's a really straight forward swap.

Not really. We figured that since we were replacing the cracked exhaust, why not to the 99 intake at the same time.

So just to clarify, I won't need the PS pump bracket or anything like that right, just the intake and the gasket?

Will I notice more of a difference with the 99+ intake along with bored TB, CAI, and free flowing exhaust then I would with the stock intake and The same mods I just mentioned?

I think throttle response is better, and that it's got a little more grunt at lower RPMs, but opinions vary widely from lost power, to no net change, to 20hp at WOT.

In addition to the intake, header, and gasket (the APN will come with a gasket, although I went ahead and used a FelPro), I needed some hard plastic vacuum line, some rubber "connectors" for the lines, new injector and fuel line quick-disco O rings, and all the fittings and hardware from my old manifold. I also bought Dorman replacement hardware for the manifolds, and I might have used a fitting or two from the new intake as well- not 100% sure. Just count holes and hardware, and compare that to what you have now.

Awesome! Well hopefully when all is done, I should notice a decent difference, and I'm not talking about just from the intake and header, but the other mods as well. Worst case scenario, I got a new intake for $72 after shipping and the header would need replaced eventually anyways.

Correct - All you need is the intake and the gasket (go Felpro and get one for a 99). My friend has a TB spacer on his and did on the 98, so I think that's why he might not have noticed much of a change.

Either way, have fun with the install. It's pretty straight forward. Do some searching on here for clearance issues with a 99 intake and the APN header. The biggest issue is the #6 runner on the intake, and in some cases it needs to be shaved down with a grinder. This seems to be hit and miss though. My 99 still seated correctly, while when we did the APN/99 Intake swap, we had to shave down both the #6 AND #1 on the intake.

If your bolts are really rusty, pick up some new ones but keep the old washers (better style washer for this set up). For installing the APN, a swivel head gearwrench ratcheting wrench is your best friend and IMO 100% necessary to get the job done. 9/16 is the size that sticks out in my head for the bolts.

searching would have answered all your questions

searching would have answered all your questions

Was it really necessary to chime in with that? I have searched, but I was not completely satisfied with what I came up with. The search feature is not the greatest tool in the world when there's thousands of posts either.

Sorry for wasting your time. I cannot give you back the 2 minutes of your life that it took to read this post. That being said, you wasted just as much time responding the way you did and not being helpful in the least.

Was it really necessary to chime in with that? I have searched, but I was not completely satisfied with what I came up with. The search feature is not the greatest tool in the world when there's thousands of posts either.

Sorry for wasting your time. I cannot give you back the 2 minutes of your life that it took to read this post. That being said, you wasted just as much time responding the way you did and not being helpful in the least.

actually it was quite necessary to post that. see, i did a 99+ intake in my 95 xj and i was able to find all the info i needed to do the swap by searching just a few minutes. in fact i learned that for your xj it is bolt in with the exception of the sensors being in different places and the need to "modify" one of the wire harnesses (by that i mean just un-bundle it) and extend a vac line. by searching for my info i learned that it would be bolt in for any 96+ xj. for a 95- xj you would need either a late model ps pump and bracket or modify the existing pump bracket. hell, i even learned how to modify it to work with my apn headder, install a wj ps pump, ps cooler, durrango steering box, and zj pitman arm that i did all at the same time!

the search really does yield a wealth of info IF you use it correctly. all i had to do was search in oem and mod tech for the term intake swap. a few minutes of thumbing trough all the threads started by db's asking the same questions that had been asked and answered eleventy billion times, i was able to find the answers to my questions, answers to questions i didnt know i had, multiple write ups on both my year range as well as late models, etc. you just have to be able to navigate through the db and super db filters first.:dunce:

The search function on this website is truly not user friendly and, every time I have tried to use it, returns alot of unrelated info. I don't know what the fix is but I would be willing to kick in an extra 10 bux if someone could make it work well.

Back