• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wacked out speedo-meter

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
87 jeep, 5sp 4x4 and my speedo keeps bouncing and waving around. Its about 5mph off, but I attribute that to the lift. When I hit about 65-70 the speedometer pegs out at 85, but if i let my foot off the gas it goes back to normal with just a little bit of wavering around. I put in a new cable, but didnt help really...but the odometer works fine. Could my gauge be going out?

thanks,
jmeti000

I would try a new speed-o gear. The one that sits in the t-case and at the same time your speed-o would be of because of the lift. I would get a speed-o gear reduction bring you back to original specs!

sounds like a gauge. usually worn gears would cause slow or inop speedo. hard to say if with the odometer tho, thing moves so slow as it is. if you decide its the gauge i got a spare laying around. the gauge pegging is rather convincing its not gear or cable related.

Back