• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring and Pinion manufacturers.

XJKcali

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering the pros and cons of the various mfg's. Alloy, Superior, Motive, Yukon, etc... Who's better-worse-problems? Going to regear the XJ soon. I run Superiors in my JK but wondering if there are equal products.

I ran yukon's without a problem, and now have nitro's. check out the vendors section on here. We have some great vendors that can give you some great advise. From what I have been told there are only a few of ring and pinion manufactures and all the brands are made in one of those facilities.

On a related note, anyone have a link to a good article on how hypoid gears are hobbed? All I can find is articles on hobbing gears which have a uniform tooth pitch across the face - i.e. worm gears, spur gears, spider/side gears, etc.

Don't really need the info, but it's something I've been quite interested in for a while.

On a related note, anyone have a link to a good article on how hypoid gears are hobbed? All I can find is articles on hobbing gears which have a uniform tooth pitch across the face - i.e. worm gears, spur gears, spider/side gears, etc.

Don't really need the info, but it's something I've been quite interested in for a while.

Its kinda gay,but.......
http://www.precisiongear.com/cuttingvideo.htm

Heres a more traditional pic
1172493279.jpg

Last edited:
The robot voice is pretty cheesy, but thanks a ton, exactly what I was looking for. I find it amazing that they can cut gears with no coolant.

Does anyone have a definitive list of manufacturers and what facility they have their gears manufactured in? I'm pretty sure Motives are made in India but I could be wrong.

BMyohn is good at killing Yukons! :D

I just had my d30 regeared. I originally bought Nitro hears cause they were a bit chaper than Yukons. The shop I use noticed that the Nitro ring gear was defective. They got a second set and it was defective too. The shop called the manufacturer and had them check their stock. Every single set of 4.88 D30 ring and pinion sets they had in stock was defective.

The shop got me a set of Yukon gears and they are perfect.

After a recent interaction with Ron @ Motive Gear / TEN Factory, I will never run anything but their products. The service is above and beyond top notch!

When I broke my stock ring and pinion I replaced it with a set from Motive. No problems so far.

I just had my d30 regeared. I originally bought Nitro hears cause they were a bit chaper than Yukons. The shop I use noticed that the Nitro ring gear was defective. They got a second set and it was defective too. The shop called the manufacturer and had them check their stock. Every single set of 4.88 D30 ring and pinion sets they had in stock was defective.

What was the defect, and was it limited to 4.88 D30's only?

Back