• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shims

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
I should be getting an SYE and drivehaft but do not have the money currently. So, I need shims. I measured the Tcase shaft at 4 degrees down, and the pinion yoke 10 degrees up. Im guessing I need an 8 degree shim? This is on a 2000 with ~5 inches of lift, 8.25 rear, AW4 and a 231 case. Tcase drop is out of the question. TNT Ylink. Is 8 degrees the hsims I need, or 6?

Last edited:
i would run 4 or 6 degree shims. i have the RE 4.5" lift with shackle relocation boxes, SYE and 4* shims, no vibes or any problems

Ordered 8 degree shims and new ubolts. Under aceleration, the pinion will rotate up an additional 1 or 2 degrees which will put it right at the angle I need.

Ok, sorry to hijack, but I am fighting a vibe problem right now....I just installed a HNT SYE with front DS and have 3" of lift. My DS angle is 12* and my rear pinion is 12.5*....now I don't know what shims are in there now but I think they are 3* shims....someone has told me that if I put smaller shims in, it will lower the pinion....is this true? And if so, do you think I should just take the shims out all together???

Here are pics of my shims...installed with fat part to rear (gas tank side)

photo2-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you made sure it's the rear end causing the vibes? It wouldn't be fun (for you, hilarious for us though...:D) if you go through all the trouble of removing your shims and still have vibes because the front end is the problem...

One thread wasn't enough?

No actually I like to get as many opinions as possible...obviously you felt one thread wasn't enough either and you had to make yourself feel better by slamming me here too...guess what? I took out the front ds today and you'll never believe it....ALL THE VIBES WERE STILL THERE!!!!!!!!

Ok removed rear ds and vibes were gone...imagine that! The only thing I don't understand is that on Tom woods website it shows the
pinion being pointed straight at the drive shaft instead
of being a couple degrees down which goes against everything everyone has told me about running a double cardan ds in the rear...then again it didn't say anything about an sye being installed.....

Ok removed rear ds and vibes were gone...imagine that! The only thing I don't understand is that on Tom woods website it shows the
pinion being pointed straight at the drive shaft instead
of being a couple degrees down which goes against everything everyone has told me about running a double cardan ds in the rear...then again it didn't say anything about an sye being installed.....

its that way on the site because the picture doesnt account for axle wrap. on an xj, the 1-2 degrees lower account for axle wrap.

Measure the driveshaft angle and then set the pinion angle 2 degrees down. Put the angle finder on the long portion of the shaft. I have a 5"-ish rear lift and I run 4 degree shims. You want to use as little shim as possible and be vibe free. The more you shim it, like 8-10 degrees, the worse the shock angles become and you get binding.

Well I found out they are 3 degree shims...after taking them out all of the vibes are gone under medium to hard acceleration but now everything from 55-up when just cruising with your foot barely on the gas there are slight vibes...do they make a 1 degree shim? Lol

Back