• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dented driveshaft

89eliminator

NAXJA Forum User
i searched and couldnt find any info...

i (must have) landed on a rock last outing putting a nice dent into the rear driveshaft. so know when driven it vibrates horribly. im kind of stumped as to how to fix it, i was thinking of welding a stud onto the shaft and slide hammering it out the best i could and see if the vib goes away.

has anyone else dented there driveshaft and how did you fix it? this is a custom length shaft so its not like i can go to the junkyard and grab a good one.

the dent is not what is giving you the vibes. its the fact that it hit something and bent the shaft while leaving a dent. just pulling the dent most likely wont fix the vibe problem. if it is a custom shaft, then take it to a driveline shop and have them repair and re-balance the shaft.

the dent is not what is giving you the vibes. its the fact that it hit something and bent the shaft while leaving a dent. just pulling the dent most likely wont fix the vibe problem. if it is a custom shaft, then take it to a driveline shop and have them repair and re-balance the shaft.

It was probably the same thing that made his transfer case go BOOM! :D

i laid a 3ft ruler on the shaft and it showed no bend. either way, i decided that taking it to the shop where i got it would be the best bet.

You should replace a dented shaft. The dent creates a weak spot that will result in the shaft twisting under a load. You can get the shaft retubed for less than a new shaft.

Totally tubular, dude!

the dent is not what is giving you the vibes.
Um, yes it is. It is called rotational unbalance.

I have the same issue right now, need to have my slightly dented shaft balanced, but looks like I'll need it re-tubed.

Um, yes it is. It is called rotational unbalance.

I have the same issue right now, need to have my slightly dented shaft balanced, but looks like I'll need it re-tubed.
Any dent in a drive shaft (even a small one) compromises the strength of the shaft. It gives the force applied to the shaft a place to concentrate and will lead to failure eventually. Helicopters have drive shafts that run the tail rotor and they spin at hundreds of RPM's with 400+horsepower applied to them. Any dent or even a deep nick in one of them requires replacement.

Back