• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone convert from closed to open cooling

892drXJ

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone here converted there closed cooling system to an open cooling system if so i need to know where you have relocated the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) i need to know cause my was on the radiator and theres no spot for it now

thanks matt

I have done this on both my XJ and my MJ. In both trucks I deleted the temp switch on the radiator as there is no bung for it on the 91+ radiator. This is the one that activates your e-fan. I put the e-fan on a switch in the cab. I prefer the control of turning it on myself, simple.

You can splice a switch into any coolant line.

The temp sensor (CTS), lower drivers side block sends info to computer to adjust fuel mix etc.

The temp sender, back of head, for the gauge.

Last edited:
I have done this on both my XJ and my MJ. In both trucks I deleted the temp switch on the radiator as there is no bung for it on the 91+ radiator. This is the one that activates your e-fan. I put the e-fan on a switch in the cab. I prefer the control of turning it on myself, simple.

You can splice a switch into any coolant line.

The temp sensor (CTS), lower drivers side block sends info to computer to adjust fuel mix etc.

The temp sender, back of head, for the gauge.

ParadisXJ has it nailed.

You could use a later model thermostat housing with a sensor port in it. You would, however have to get a different switch as the trigger TEMPERATURE would need to be different than it was for the switch in the radiator.

I have also seen a temp switch to the fan relay with a probe that goes into the radiator. Seems kind of odd to me though. I pondered (obsessed really) the switch on my first go around with the XJ and eventually went with the switch inside. I put a sensor in a 91+ t-stat housing but it was a just another version of the CTS and didn't work because it was a sensor, not a switch. Different animal.

Here's a write up on wiring in a switch. Took me 15 minutes.

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/auxfan.htm

when i went from closed to open, i ditched my e-fan, so no need for the switch....
i tend to work on it a lot, so less crap is allways good...
if it ever goes above half on the temp guage, i may consider putting it back

I considered the whole switch over on my '87 but opted instead for a aluminum tank with a regular 16lb radiator cap from Macs (it did cost some, but cheaper than the whole swap cost) and tossed in a Geo Metro resevoir under the tank shelf just for "poops" and whistles.

http://www.macsradiator.com/replacmentjeepradiatorfilltanks.aspx

Just my two bits.

Did the tank thing since the plastic cap popped off a couple of times and the tank swelled like a sausage on more than one occasion.

Don't forget kiddies, purge purge purge. The air that is. Or whatever sick little thought that occurs

Last edited:
I considered the whole switch over on my '87 but opted instead for a aluminum tank with a regular 16lb radiator cap from Macs (it did cost some, but cheaper than the whole swap cost) and tossed in a Geo Metro resevoir under the tank shelf just for "poops" and whistles.

http://www.macsradiator.com/replacmentjeepradiatorfilltanks.aspx

Just my two bits.

Did the tank thing since the plastic cap popped off a couple of times and the tank swelled like a sausage on more than one occasion.

Don't forget kiddies, purge purge purge. The air that is. Or whatever sick little thought that occurs

Moroso has one of those also - for a lot less cash.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-63650/

I did the whole swap because I needed a new radiator anyway, both Jeeps. Less plumbing, I eliminated 8 hose junctions including deleting the heater valve, and so 8 less leak possibilities.

Did cost some, but they're my toys, so what the hey!

Back