• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would this work?

ARB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What i was thinking of doing, is after cutting in my hood vents, mount an electric fan under them to help push the heat out. Didnt know if anyone has done this, or what others thoughts on it are

If there is enough space it should work fine. Cut the holes, measure depth or maybe make a cardboard mockup of the fan and tape it in, see if it fits.

I think you would have negligible gains from this depending on the size of the fans/holes. The hood vents are really for the inside the engine compartment temperature not for the engine/coolant temperature. I think money would be better spent on a better radiator fan setup or something. I think its a interesting idea, but it gets wierd when you consider how it will be covered when not in use, maybe the fans could slide in place and have pigtails to plug in when you need them on the trail.

I have covers on my vents, that have standoffs that keep the covers about 1/8" off the vent so they are always venting, but protected from water or anything coming in. Maybe there are fans that can stand to get wet a bit and it wont matter.

IMO it would be alot of trouble for almost no improvement. A properly functioning stock cooling system is plenty effective. You may have a problem with your system if you are overheating.

I agree that it is a good idea but the work and wiring will not help as much as someone would like to gain. Plus hot air raises already the vents just let it out.

Jeep isnt overheating and it wouldnt be used to keep engine/coolant temp down. Just to keep the general engine bay temps down and give the hood vents better flow when crawling.

A cowl induction hood would do the trick, at high speeds air is forced down and over the engine bay (possiably inhibiting cooling fan operation on the radiator) but at low crawling speeds all hot air will rise and be vented from the engine bay. This is what i have found to be the case with a Reflexxion Cowled Bonnet installed. Normal vents work much the same. A fan would be overkill and possiably be spun backwards causing damage at highway speeds. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back