• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84-96 and 97+ OEM gas tank skids difference?

Nutstrips like a towhitch would. And the skid is steel, there is no plastic gas tank skid for an XJ.

Skid plate = Steel. The plastic is just a gas tank cover. Not a skid, thats a totally different part.

My 96 is plastic.

Now as I understand it the 97+ ones are metal...

Not sure though. Yet.

My 90 Laredo did. It was just a large piece of maybe 1/8" plastic that wrapped the tank underneath the straps. Splash shield at best.
I was just as confused as you guys about this till a while ago. MOPAR calls the plastic sheet a "fuel tank shield" while they call the actual skid a skid.

The only utilities I've found in having the pre-97 shield in place:
* good for collecting road grime and salt and water and holding it against the tank, accelerating rust
* good for bouncing back out and hiding the fact that your gas tank is badly caved in from offroading, making you wonder why you can't get as much into the tank anymore even though it looks fine
* good for dumping the aforementioned road grime in your face when you replace the tank

Found a gas tank skid on a 96 XJ ... Will it fit my 2001 XJ?

Stock steel gas tank skid plates fit either 1984-1996 or 1997-2001. The early gas tanks are steel and later gas tanks are plastic, they have different dimensions.

So people have modified an early gas tank skid to fit a later Cherokee. You will have to do some searching to find the exact modifications needed.

It would be much easier to find a ZJ (1993-98) Grand Cherokee gas tank skid for a 97-01 XJ Cherokee. All you need to do to the ZJ skid is open up 2 bolt holes about 1/4 inch and it bolts on.

I was just as confused as you guys about this till a while ago. MOPAR calls the plastic sheet a "fuel tank shield" while they call the actual skid a skid.

The only utilities I've found in having the pre-97 shield in place:
* good for collecting road grime and salt and water and holding it against the tank, accelerating rust
* good for bouncing back out and hiding the fact that your gas tank is badly caved in from offroading, making you wonder why you can't get as much into the tank anymore even though it looks fine
* good for dumping the aforementioned road grime in your face when you replace the tank
Wouldn't it have been better to just go with a steel skid with drain holes?? Like really, how much more would that skid be over that plastic POS? Maybe $200 at most? I don't understand car companies sometimes.

Wouldn't it have been better to just go with a steel skid with drain holes?? Like really, how much more would that skid be over that plastic POS? Maybe $200 at most? I don't understand car companies sometimes.
Profit at any cost, I can understand skids being an option a lot more than I can understand the way they used the bare minimum wire size on the blower motor and headlight harnesses, and the cheapest possible blower switch.

I have a skid from a 87, and it fit on my 01.

I trimmed the rear, and bent the lip out, and it fits fine.

Back