• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleanable air filters......

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Been meaning to do an update to my filter expirences. I started with a K&N filter but the cotton worn thin and started to have small holes. The Greenfilter has suppost to have better filtering abilties so I gave it a try. However it ended up the same as the K&N filter. I also ran into problems with bugs and mud/oil getting clogged in the pleats and unable to clean them out, eventually leading to a super dirty filter.

I have found a filter thats is working excellent. It's a truflow foam air filter. I have been running it since August and it's perfect. I've already cleaned it once and it was super easy to clean, not bugs or mud in hard to clean areas. Also with the deeper or thicker cleaning media the filtering should be better then a cloth filter. If I was going to run a cleanable filter I would not look at anything else. They do have a website, google should bring it up.

There was a great write up in the latest JP mag about cleanable airfilters. Lots of good data.

Quit washing it out with a pressure washer and it will last longer. Honestly, I have had my K&N flat filter for about 5 or 6 years now and I got it used from someone here on naxja. I spray it then use a bucket full of water to get the dirt out just by pulling it up with the dirty side facing down, that gets rid of the big stuff, I spray it again with the cleaner then use the kitchen sink faucet to get the rest of the stuff out and the material back to an off white color. Then I let it dry on the draining board, no blow dryer, no sun on the deck, etc. I just let it air dry for a day or two. Then it gets sprayed and put away till the next filter change, I alternate between the K&N and a Purolator paper filter, two maybe three times a year.

I use an Amsoil air filter in the stock airbox, basically a stock replacement. Ran a K&N airtube set up on the old XJ, and didn't like how the inside of the throttle body became covered in dust.

I've yet to clean my Amsoil filter, but I hear it's not as easy as a K&N, but we'll see...

RichP said:
Quit washing it out with a pressure washer and it will last longer. Honestly, I have had my K&N flat filter for about 5 or 6 years now and I got it used from someone here on naxja. I spray it then use a bucket full of water to get the dirt out just by pulling it up with the dirty side facing down, that gets rid of the big stuff, I spray it again with the cleaner then use the kitchen sink faucet to get the rest of the stuff out and the material back to an off white color. Then I let it dry on the draining board, no blow dryer, no sun on the deck, etc. I just let it air dry for a day or two. Then it gets sprayed and put away till the next filter change, I alternate between the K&N and a Purolator paper filter, two maybe three times a year.

Thats what I pretty much do, just all in the kitchen sink. Never could get them clean and all kind sof crap would get lodged in the pleats. For some reason mine just didn't get filled with dust but oil mud and bugs. That combo really tears up the cloth/cotton filters. If I still had a air box then they might last longer but the conditions are torture on open air filters. The foam is holding up way better.

Back