• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here's why you plan repairs in advance....

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes you just have to buy your stuff from the local auto parts chain because you need it now to fix your ride. Otherwise it pays to shop online in advance.

Example - thermostat went out, had to run to buy another. Stant SuperStat premium 195 degree. Advance Auto Parts price - $12.50. Rock Auto online, $4.95. Could have almost bought three for the AA price of one.

Just a glimpse into parts store markup. From this point forward, if it ain't desperate....it's getting purchased online!:callme:

Here's another example that comes to mind. The local NAPA wants $40 for a stud extractor (nope, I'm not kidding). Harbor Freight has them for under $5.

While yes, the mark up is stupid high, what happens when you get that new part and it's bad out of the box? Buying it from a local parts house, 9 times out of 10 you can have another one in your hand same day (next day absolute worse case). Dealing with online, you've got several days of waiting around on shipping.

you also have to pay mad shipping rates to order online... sometimes makes the part more expensive in the long run

Dunno about mad shipping rates, I paid about 30 bucks shipping for my brake hardware which was shipped from 2 different warehouses half the country away from me and weighed 50 pounds total. Brought the total to 176 or so, pretty decent price for rotors/pads/calipers/hoses.

I actually just paid that 12 bucks for a stant superstat at AAP, decided I'd rather do that than wait for my next rockauto order in a month or two.

I also had to make this judgment call on the same thermostat about a month ago. Wound up getting it Advance Auto because I needed to get a new TStat in before a 700 mile round trip. I think RockAuto was charging me $5 to ship the thing anyway. Meh, $3...Needs to be a $5 swing for me to really care.

every situation is a part-by-part decision imho...

besides, thats only 2 1/2 thermostats for the price of the AA one, and you didnt mention tax, gas you spent to get there, or cost of internet... EVERYTHING factors in, including your time.

it's more complicated than that.. i'll save my energy for the jeep, instead of saving 6-8$... i spend that in morning beverages/food on my way to work...

Back