• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Resetting gears for ARB install?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping my open carrier out for an ARB in my low pinion 60 rear. I just setup the (Motive) gears about 1200 miles ago with all new parts and everything looks great so far. My question is, when I swap in the ARB, will I have to start from square one w/ the gears? What are the chances that I won't have to mess with the pinion depth? I'm trying to decide it I want to tackle this with a little more than 24 hours before a run!

Thanks a bunch,
Billy

Changes you won't have to mess with pinion depth - 100%, IMO. The only way pinion depth requirement could change is for the exact diameter of the ring gear to change slightly (or the housing to change in such a way that the pinion depth would no longer be correct.) Get backlash and pattern back to what they were with carrier shims and it should be good.

No need to mess with the pinion.I would suggest the you pull a pattern and check the backlash before removal.Set it back the same way and you should be good.

you're good to go. start with the same carrier shims too (but use new ones), you should be in the ballpark with those. pinion will be bang-on perfect

All you have to do is duplicate the backlash and carrier preload that's already there. Check the old and new backlash several times around the gear, it's not uncommon for runout to vary a couple thou.

If I remember right the 60 ARB's run a thin shim outboard of the race, calling for use of a case spreader. Don't go overboard with the spreader or you can tweak the housing.

That's funny... I knew that. I don't know what I was thinking there
dunno.gif

Billy

Back