• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mud in radiator?

01greenxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
i noticed a small leak coming from my radiator the other day and i went to check the fluid level and theres mud in the filler cap i have no idea how it got in there cause i dont really go mudding just some light trails that have some mud. how could have gotten there? and im planning on just flushing it out and hoping that will clean it out unless there are other suggestions

thanks
Andy

Well, using my boundless imagination and your member ID I am going to a**ume you have a 01, probably the 4.0, and most likely the "mud" is oil contamination from a cracked head/blown headgasket.

Check your oil on the dipstick and the underside of the filler cap for contamination.

You can rent a cooling system tester at most part stores, you have to purchase the test chemicals that will show the presence of combustion byproducts in the coolant mix.

yes i flushed it last summer this is the second radiator ive put in it i flushed as much as i cud out today and im going to see how it does and i checked the oil and its clean and i just changed the oil last week and there was nothing wrong that i know of is there anything else it could be? also it hasnt been smoking at all

Could just be crap from the engine block or heater core that came loose and showed up, it happens.

Cracked head/blown headgaskets can present in different ways. You can have combustion byproducts and pressure entering the cooling system and never see a cloud of exhaust, or you can have coolant entering the crankcase and making a milkshake out of the oil, or the common cloud of coolant trailing behind you.

I would use the coolant tester for peace of mind.

yes i was using coolant and ill check the filler cap tomorrow how much is a coolant tester?

Just rent the tester, they will sell you the chemical, usually runs about $8 at Autozone, and is more than you will ever need (non-professional).

If you want to buy the tester, I think they are $25 at Autozone, but that is without chemicals.

Back