• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Air/hyd tube bender build

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
Thought I'd document this I really haven't found alot here so it couldn't hurt to add to it. The bender I'm making will be the Gottrikes version found here;

http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

Before I get started for the few that have made this is there anything they modified to there's that turned out to be really beneficial? He hasn't updated the plans since 2007 so I'm just making sure there wasn't improvements to be made. I plan on tweaking things a little but nothing really drastic.

I built the "Style B" version. I am very happy with it wouldn't change a thing. I might add a handle near the bottom ram mount to make it a bit easier to move around, but other than that it is perfect.
One thing I would mention is make sure you are very accurate with your hole placement and when you weld it all together throw the pins in place to make sure they stay aligned.
There is a huge thread on the PBB just about this bender: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376183

Few Pictures:
Bender_Collapsed.jpg

Bender_HalfExtended.jpg

CPillarBending.jpg

BPillar_Bending.jpg

[offtopic]
I thought you bought the JD3 bender after wining a scratch ticket or something? (Edit: I was right. Post1 Post2)
Out of curiosity more than anything, why the change? What didn't you like about it? Be careful this bender uses the Pro-Tools dies and you'll have to change the hole positions to use the JD dies.
[/offtopic]

Last edited:
My father and I built two of them back in 2006, one for him and one for me. It works awesome... You definitely want to get an air over hydraulic cylinder instead of the manual one, and I will second what was said above. I used a milling machine for drilling ours....

They are great little benders!

You can kind of see it next to the spare tire:

DSCN1315.jpg

awesome. keep us apprised. im considering building one

Thanks to whoever moved this, I keep forgetting we have a garage/tool section now :D

Bill Thanks for the thread I'm going to have to check that out. Good memory! As for my bender now there's a few reasons why I'm going a different route.
I don't like how it's a pedestal mount I thought it wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is right now... but my garage is a little smaller than yours and I had make a place where I could bolt the bender to the floor now with a full stick of DOM in the bender it gets REALLY tricky to not get it to hit one of my walls or the ceiling. That and I like the air cylinder idea, for what I can build this DIY one with the cylinder well that will get me just the hyd upgrade one mine. and I'll still have the same issues as before. I also have a buddy of mine looking into a bender so I can sell him my pro tools, put a little money in my pocket and have a better way to bend tube. Works for me :)

I am currently building on e of these benders, I am waiting on the hyd cylinder befoe I buy the steel. Is there a problem with the pro tool dies or did you already have the JD dies? I have a friend that would like to do the JD style dies, but I already bought the ones that the kit was designed for. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am also building one of these benders. I already have the cylinder and the machined parts kit. If I could quit having surgeries, I could get the damn thing done.

I am currently building on e of these benders, I am waiting on the hyd cylinder befoe I buy the steel. Is there a problem with the pro tool dies or did you already have the JD dies? I have a friend that would like to do the JD style dies, but I already bought the ones that the kit was designed for. Any help would be much appreciated.

I already had the JD dies, it does require some slight modifications with the bender, honestly I'm selling my JD's and going with with 105's the resale on these dies is so good it's not that big of a deal for me.

I'll have some updates on this soon for picture goodies, just ALOT going one at once lately

i likey

For you guys that have built these, just out of curiosity, what kind of money do you have wrapped up into building them?
I'm not entirely sure. I bought full lengths of steel and used some for the Jeep and some for the bender and I have a little left. I had the pins, hardware, and the stainless round stock for the feet rollers already.
Between the 240 degree die, the ram, and the steel I would guess about $500-550.

For the materials alone (we built two of them) not including the dies or cylinders, we have about 200 bucks in them. We have a lathe and mill at home, so the machine work was free. We also had the material for the pins already. There is a fair amount of tubing in those things, and .250 wall 2x2 tubing aint too cheap.

~ James

I'm not entirely sure. I bought full lengths of steel and used some for the Jeep and some for the bender and I have a little left. I had the pins, hardware, and the stainless round stock for the feet rollers already.
Between the 240 degree die, the ram, and the steel I would guess about $500-550.

Speaking of that, do you think you really need the 240 die? Has it come in handy? I keep going back and fourth on that. A 180 is considerably cheaper, and I don't know if I'll ever need to make a 180 bend.

And yea I'm about 500 into it.

8ft of 2x2x1/4
6ft of 2x2x3/16
4ft of 1.5x1.5x1/4
and some other pieces

Speaking of that, do you think you really need the 240 die? Has it come in handy? I keep going back and fourth on that. A 180 is considerably cheaper, and I don't know if I'll ever need to make a 180 bend.
Without a doubt, for me, yes.
There have been several bends that would not have been possible without the 240 degree die.

Without a doubt, for me, yes.
There have been several bends that would not have been possible without the 240 degree die.

Noted, I ended up doing the 240 die. I have no idea what I could be doing in two years so might as well just go for it.

Nothing to spectacular done so far just finished up the base last night and I'll be working on the front with the pivot point mounts and as well as some small additions. I'll put pics up tonight.

Noted, I ended up doing the 240 die. I have no idea what I could be doing in two years so might as well just go for it.

Nothing to spectacular done so far just finished up the base last night and I'll be working on the front with the pivot point mounts and as well as some small additions. I'll put pics up tonight.

Do yourself a favor and don't weld on the two tabs on the base that hold the center of the die in place yet. Wait until you have the die you will use most of the time and mock it all up with the tube level.
If you don't you'll end up with the tube not being parallel to the ground when you are bending. Not the end of the world, just easier if it is.

Back