• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 axles vs 01 axles

Nomercy

NAXJA Forum User
i found a set of 89 XJ rears that im thinking of purchasing. 30/44 combo. first is the 30 a high pinion for that year? also in terms of strength for the dana 30 how does it compare to the 01 rears i have now? and how do the brakes differ? also im looking at the Vanco Big Brake Kit. it says it fits 90 and up. whats different about the 89 that this kit wont fit?

Yes. Low pinion started in 2000. 30 is the front. why would you want to compare to the rear? The axle ujoints are smaller in the 89. Wait for more responses as to weather you can swap front axles.
89 and older may not have C clip 35's therefore have a different backing plate. Is the Vanco Big Brake Kit for a 44?

Use the stronger HP housing, with your 01 knuckles. the vanco kit wil fit them. Use the shafts from the 01 with new u joints and full circle clips (snap rings) Keep your 89 shafts for spares.

ok well i never thought of swaping the knuckles. duh...haha. so the Cs accept the same ball joints or are there different part numbers for 89 and 01

what about disc brakes for the dana 44? do the tera-flex kits work, or any other kits. what about discs from later models?

Use the stronger HP housing, with your 01 knuckles. the vanco kit wil fit them. Use the shafts from the 01 with new u joints and full circle clips (snap rings) Keep your 89 shafts for spares.

89 will be a disco axle, unless it's from a 249 T cased Jeep.

You can use the newer knuckles on the older housing, the inner C never changed. I have a 97 housing with 97 axle shafts and 89 outers/brakes.

If you use the housing with the dosconnect to get the stronger UCA mount just swap your 97 knuckles and axleshafts over, and make a plate to seal up the CAD motor mounting hole. I think rustys might sell a plate, been a long time since I looked

89 will be a disco axle, unless it's from a 249 T cased Jeep.

You can use the newer knuckles on the older housing, the inner C never changed. I have a 97 housing with 97 axle shafts and 89 outers/brakes.

If you use the housing with the dosconnect to get the stronger UCA mount just swap your 97 knuckles and axleshafts over, and make a plate to seal up the CAD motor mounting hole. I think rustys might sell a plate, been a long time since I looked
I think you mean.. 242, not 249
its non CAD
Would have been out of an XJ AW4/242 then.

I think you mean.. 242, not 249

Would have been out of an XJ AW4/242 then.
it depends, I've seen 242 jeeps with the CAD, but I've never seen a 249 jeep with it. 249 xj's were rare birds.

you know AMC was using whatever was laying about the day it got built.

Whatever, the housing will work either way, if it's CAD, just block off the hole, if not, just swap the knuckles and it's good to go.

NP249 was never OEM in an XJ.

NP249 came in about 92 in the ZJ.

you are correct. 249 popped in my head.
I meant 207.
there were some 207 jeeps that did not have cads.

it depends, I've seen 242 jeeps with the CAD, but I've never seen a 249 jeep with it. 249 xj's were rare birds.

you know AMC was using whatever was laying about the day it got built.

Whatever, the housing will work either way, if it's CAD, just block off the hole, if not, just swap the knuckles and it's good to go.
1 of 2 things would have occurred then.. in the case of a CAD +242 combo
First, the CAD axle was swapped in.. OR,
2nd, The 242 was swapped in

1 of 2 things would have occurred then.. in the case of a CAD +242 combo
First, the CAD axle was swapped in.. OR,
2nd, The 242 was swapped in

possibly, but who would want to swap a 242 in?
the cad was functional
it looked factory
perhaps a dealer mod?

who knows, this was in a 1988 Jeep, it had been owned for a long time (10 yrs) by the owner that sold it to a firned of mine, and he said it was like that when he bought it. No idea if he bought it from the original owner.
it was totaled shortly afterward, and I never got to take photos. ended up rear ended and carted to the yard.

Back