• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 output loose?

xjcrazed

NAXJA Forum User
I have an NP231 with ~180K on it. I know it needs to be rebuilt. But, I'm working on a replacement for it, and don't want to put any money into if I can avoid it. The last time I was under the XJ on a creeper, I grabbed onto the rear driveshaft for levearage to move, and I noticed a lot of play (I could easily turn the driveshaft back and forth).

What causes this? Would this be a stretched chain? What wears out in the case that would allow the output to become loose?

Rob

I'm pretty sure rotational play is acceptable due to the tcase not having load on it. Some in and out play seams to be acceptable also from what I have read during research. Up and down left and right play like a joy stick is not a good thing. If the later is the case you want to look into an front output bearing. As far as stretched chains while rotating the output yoke back and forth quickly if your chain is slapping against the case that can be a sign of stretch.

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely only rotational play, but unless there's also play in the transmission output that I can't see, it turns quite a bit (like maybe 45 degrees?). When I've had transfer cases separate before, there isn't any noticable difference between rotation in the output and input. I'm curious if this is cause for worry, or if it's safe to ignore until I get the replacement all figured out.

Rob

Well if it is causing other problems like drive shaft vibes I would address it....I had a front drive shaft vibe due to a bad centering ball on the front DS and it cause a my front diff yoke to leak then it killed the bearing. I would pull the front DS and check the yoke it self for play. Again lots of rotation play sure it could be yur chain stretching a little, but if it were me and I was gonna replace the Tcase anyway there is no way I would drop money on a chain.

Back