• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler install = Dumb Question

Cody90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm working on installing a tranny cooler and started to loosen the bottom fitting into the radiator but, coolent comes out. I'm confused here, I thought that I would get some tranny fluid but, no water.

Overall there is nothing wrong with my rig I just wanted to install the tranny cooler before some summer wheeling.

Thanks

well if you and i are on the same page you shouldnt get coolant from the internal transcooler. personally i would go to your local autoparts store and buy a filter kit for the trans and see if theres water in the trans pan! its a good time to change the filter anyways! make sure you use dex 3 fluid or you will have problems!

How many more lines do you have going into your radiator? I have one at the top right side (looking from the bumper to motor) of the radiator that ties into the tranny.

Im sure you already know this but If your getting coolant from one of the trans lines its time for a new radiator. Flush the tranny and change the filter.

The tranny cooler does not have any lines going to the radiator and you should not have to touch any lines that are going to the radiator. Tranny cooler should have 2 separate lines that are 3/8" i.d. and run only tranny fluid to a small heat exchanger IN FRONT of the radiator.

The tranny cooler does not have any lines going to the radiator and you should not have to touch any lines that are going to the radiator. Tranny cooler should have 2 separate lines that are 3/8" i.d. and run only tranny fluid to a small heat exchanger IN FRONT of the radiator.

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. The radiator has an internal heat exchanger for the trans fluid that work similar to a water-air intercooler, except in this case it's more of a water-water version.

If you're loosening the fitting and getting coolant you either broke something inside the radiator, or something was already broken inside the radiator. Usually this is more of an issue with the upper fitting. Time for a new one...

Some radiators are designed in a way that there is a fitting on the internal transmission cooler than bolts it to the radiator side tank. I'm pretty sure he is trying to remove that. I.e. he is trying to remove the entire quick disconnect fitting on the radiator, but is actually removing the fitting that mates the cooler to the side tank.

Some radiators are designed in a way that there is a fitting on the internal transmission cooler than bolts it to the radiator side tank. I'm pretty sure he is trying to remove that. I.e. he is trying to remove the entire quick disconnect fitting on the radiator, but is actually removing the fitting that mates the cooler to the side tank.
This sounds like a possible reason you got water. There is a large fitting that screws into the radiator heat exchanger and then the smaller fitting on the tranny fluid line screws into it. If you unscrewed the lerger fitting then you would have gotten water coming out. If you only unscrewed the smaller fitting and got water then your heat exchanger has developed an internal leak. If this happened though, I would think the tranny would fail real quick. You would also find tranny fluid in the coolant so if there's no tranny fluid in the coolant then you probably just unscrewed the larger fitting.

i didn't touch any fittings when i did mine.

i just cut the hose and stuck some 3/8" hose barbs in there with some pipe clamps to hold it together. i didn't feel like i needed a stand alone cooler for the tranny yet. i might switch it up in the future and run the steering fluid thru rad. if i bump up above 33" tires.

no leaks, no water, and super quick. it took me longer to get the tools out then it did to install.

Must be different radiators out there. I have a tranny line running to the right side of mine and I guarantee it is full of ATF fluid. I also have a cooler in front of the radiator.

Here's the answer. I was trying to remove the fitting without looking at it very well. Everything is good. Almost got it all done.

I made some nice mounts and had some metal lines made to fit to the Hayden cooler. I'll post pics tomorrow if I get finished.

Thanks for the replies.

This sounds like a possible reason you got water. There is a large fitting that screws into the radiator heat exchanger and then the smaller fitting on the tranny fluid line screws into it. If you unscrewed the lerger fitting then you would have gotten water coming out. If you only unscrewed the smaller fitting and got water then your heat exchanger has developed an internal leak. If this happened though, I would think the tranny would fail real quick. You would also find tranny fluid in the coolant so if there's no tranny fluid in the coolant then you probably just unscrewed the larger fitting.

Thats called a Tru-The Hall Fitting or Bulkhead Fitting and yes if you loosen the large nut you would get coolant!

Thats what happened. I looked from underneath and had just enough room to get a wrench in there. Once I turned it about 1/2 turn it started to leak. I let it drain for a moment and then tightened it back up. Obviously this was the wrong fitting.

those quick disconnects are right up there alongside the rear shock bolts and the underrated headlight wiring on my "list of things Chrysler was stupid to do"

Back