• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I make my 2000 a rock solid Daily Driver?

MRFD715

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 is my Daily Driver, I put about 50 miles a day on it. I've had it for almost a year and it has given me pretty much flawless service, but it does have 135,000 miles and I want to ensure many more miles of trouble free service. One of the first things I need to do is replace the transfer case as it went out this winter. It has a 231 right now but I'm thinking a 242 would suit my needs better, any thoughts? I also plan on new front u-joints and bearings, new brakes and plugs, pretty much just your basic tune up stuff. Is there any upgrades or simple mods I should to do to ensure future reliability? I bought the XJ because lots of people told me how reliable and versatile they are, so far I completely agree with that! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Josh

Last edited:
Your on the right track with Bearings and joints. I would say a 242 in Iowa is better...?

Replace:
oil/filter
rear diff oil
transfercase oil
front diff oil
tranny oil/filter
p.s fluid
radiator/flush system
brake fluid
air filter
plugs/wires

etc....

Agree with the above.

*Fresh plugs (no plug wires on yours), air filter

*Frequent changes of ALL fluids. Fluids are the best bang for your buck for longevity of associated components.

*New thermostat if its been a while. I buy mine directly from JEEP (195 degree ONLY)

*Install new hoses. Your hoses if original, are now 10 years old and don't owe you anything. They can start degrading from the inside out and you can't always tell by inspecting them. There are only 4 hoses if I remember right. You do NOT want you vehicle to overheat (the 2000 has the 0331 head from the factory, which if overheated, can crack and then you've got big problems)

Many 0331's have cracked without ever being overheated. You can either sell it and try to get an older one, or watch your antifreeze consumption.

I don't disagree with birchlake. Don't let it overheat. That is just asking for more trouble.

What needs do you consider when pondering a 242? Do you have any idea what made your 231 go out?

I'm guessing the P.O. Used the 4wd a lot on pavement. It came from a city driver. I think that the full-time option on the 242 would suit the type of driving that I do with it very well. I did notice that mine is using a little coolant :( Where is the most common place for them to crack? I do plan on changing all fluids, I never thought about the hoses though but I will definitely change them too.

I'm guessing the P.O. Used the 4wd a lot on pavement. It came from a city driver. I think that the full-time option on the 242 would suit the type of driving that I do with it very well. I did notice that mine is using a little coolant :( Where is the most common place for them to crack? I do plan on changing all fluids, I never thought about the hoses though but I will definitely change them too.

The vast majority of 0331 heads crack between cylinders 3-4. There is a casting flaw in that area that leads to failure. Oftentimes, you can see the crack(s) by pulling the valve cover.

Keep an extremely close eye on coolant level in your reservoir. I would recommend actually tracking the amount you use. Coolant use is by far the best clue as to whether you have a problem in this regard. If you are using coolant, you want to address it immediately as coolant in the oil can toast bearings and the engine in a a very short period of time.

I will definitely be pulling the valve cover tomorrow to see if I can see anything. I actually just checked the oil today and it was fine, didn't smell like there is coolant in it. If the head is cracked is it more economical to just buy a different motor, it seems like there should be a lot of them around. I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined so I would have no problem doing any of that work myself.

If ANYTHING needs fixing, fix it, now.

I'm totally anal about maintenance. That may explain 233K, zero leaks, running smooth, all lights, tranny, everything works. I would be completely confident hitting the road for a couple thousand mile road trip in my 90 tomorrow.

A little update. I pulled the valve cover today and couldn't see a crack. I then noticed the smell of antifreeze up by the radiator. I think I may have a small leak and that is where my coolant loss is coming from. I sure hope that's all it is anyway. Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Back