• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Steering

Ianf406

NAXJA Forum User
hey anyone tried out their 1-ton steering? Im going to upgrade mine and I was going to get the rustys or the Rock Krawler but ive read tons of bad reveiws on them on various forums/sites (rock krawler rubs and Rustys burns out parts like crazy) now im torn between the JCR (have their bumpers, love their stuff so far) and the Currie (read lots of good things)... any feedback?

i had the JCR, and have driven a rig with currie, and from that experience, if you plan on running your steering under the knuckle (stock location) i would go with currie... there is no dead spot at all(which the jcr does have). if you plan on doing some shenanigens with your steering, and put it over the knuckle and relocate your trackbar, then the JCR is an awesome setup.

It also matters how much lift you have, and where you wheel. If you're sitting over 5" of lift or so or if you wheel in more remote places, the currie setup may not be for you. the JCR setup uses off the shelf chevy tie rod ends that you can pickup for $40 at any parts house when you break a part, while you have to get the Currie stuff from Currie. It can be really hard to find a Currie store in Moab, or out by the hammers .. or anywhere but in Anahiem really.

JCR makes a pretty good product. Like every inverted T setup, it has a dead spot in the center of the steering .. but its also got more beef than a cattle ranch.

Also look at the Bulletproof Steering setup.

JCR addresses the dead spot with a poly spacer for the pass side knuckle. i have been running the OTK kit for a year now and have never experienced a "dead spot".

all i hear about jcr is the dead spot, it comes up in every thread.

...mine has no slop, nor roll, nor dead spot.... couldnt be happier.

I've got JCR 1 Ton OTK. Works great. No dead spot at all. The dead spot issue does have alot to do with OTK/UTK and the amount of lift that is involved. I honestly don't fully understand the geometry of it all so, I'll let someone that does spell it out. Maybe JCR will chime in here.

www.jcroffroad.com

Last edited:
awsome thanks... guess ill be going with the JCR then... unfourtunatly i dont have the time to do the over the knuckle so itll be the "stock"

I have been running the JCR set-up since pretty near its inception... I have it on both my wheeling jeeps and haven't had a lick of trouble since the install. The first one I installed was on my TJ and like I said it was new to everyone... poor quality TRE failed on me on the trail. JCR was awesome and sent out to part to me at the hotel I was in so I could get back on the trail the next day. (It was a three day event far from home.) I got it the following AM and was on the trail just after noon the following day. Since then ZERO problems.

As for a dead spot, I have none, not the slightest bit of any. The J series Jeep FSJ vehicles of the '60 and '70's used a similar setup stock and ran a spacer between the knuckle and the TRE eliminating the slop and eliminating the dead spot. JRC actually began offering the poly spacer, at least in part because on my input.

Steelwasher.jpg

Bushing.jpg

JTruckspacers.jpg
Assembled.jpg

Spacerinstalled.jpg

MJ006.jpg

CW

Last edited:
Having installed long arms on my jeep and noticing the extreme TRE angles, this set up looks just like the ticket. I'd stay under the knuckle and I don't really need the 1-ton conversion (along with the drilling and reaming).

Is there anyone who makes this same style of steering that doesn't require the drilling and reaming?

Thanks,

Rob

I see Rugged Ridge makes one, but says it's for up to 4" of lift... Why would that be?

Anyway, they also are lacking the JCR included poly spacer...I suppose something like that could be made?

I see Rugged Ridge makes one, but says it's for up to 4" of lift... Why would that be?

Anyway, they also are lacking the JCR included poly spacer...I suppose something like that could be made?

The Rugged Ridge set-up is even worse in the "roll" department because of the "kick" in the pass side tre.Its definately a set-up to avoid.They probably use a disclaimer for this reason due to less reported rolling at lesser lift heights.

The Rugged Ridge set-up is even worse in the "roll" department because of the "kick" in the pass side tre.Its definately a set-up to avoid.They probably use a disclaimer for this reason due to less reported rolling at lesser lift heights.

Yes, now I've seen several posts of current RR setup owners who hate it...I'll avoid that one.

I see Ballistic Fab makes a crossover setup with rod ends that requires welding...they also have a chevy TRE setup but I'd assume this is the same as JCR's and requires drilling/reaming of the knuckle.

Hmmmmm....Then there's IRO's OTK...looks funky and it requires less backspacing than stock wheels.

Back