• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shimmy in '85 Cherokee - am I on the right track?

cdg123

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys so my 1985 XJ diesel has an issue that I noticed soon after getting it driveable. Read the bottom of the post if you want the quick "story" of this unique XJ. It drives nicely but as soon as you get it up to about 35 mph or so it will shake from side to side violently. The only way to get it to stop behaving like this is to slow down and make broad sweeping turns.

The odd news is when I did the new tires on it, the wheel bearings felt fine. There is very little play in the front end in general. The tie rods look tight and while the steering damper probably doesn't have much to give at this point I honestly can't see this as being the problem.

Here is another clue - when the jeep was shimmying like this it shook the vehicle so violently that it cracked the starter housing in the transmission. So I removed everything as required, towed the Jeep from the test lot and pushed it into a parking space at my apartment. As I had the wheel turned to back the jeep into its spot I noticed that the right wheel seems to have a "notchy" kind of feel to it. You could hear the sound like a bearing was binding up on it.

So what I am wondering is if the wheel bearing in it is either under-lubricated, if one of the axle bearings could be going bad or if the fact that the 4x4 vacuum motor isn't hooked up could be causes of this problem?

This would seem like a simple problem but I do not have a lift to work with in Flagstaff. I am attempting to fix it up enough to get it back to my Dad's fully equipped shop in Wickenburg so I can effect some of the more complicated repairs that it needs (going for a manual 4x4 conversion, some electrical wiring, upholstry work and probably prep it for paint).

To answer the other questions to come, no the '85 isn't an original diesel. It is a Renault turbo diesel that came from an '86 XJ. It was a real find as the engine and transmission only have about 72,000 miles on 'em. The chasis was a V6 '85 Pioneer that had a seized engine. I had to use the '85 transfer case (NP207) with the half CV front driveshaft (ugh). The 86 engine was given to me - it had sat in a field for over 5 years. I put fresh fuel in the tank, wired her up with a new battery and started her right up on the third try. I will never forget that. Unfortunately the '85 V6 gearing gives the little motor no balls after about 3rd gear. It pulls strong once the turbo boost gets up - a little stronger than the 4cylinder gas cherokee I remember driving a long time ago. It hasn't been driven enough to determine fuel mileage but according to the original owner I should expect about 30 with mixed driving.

Parts are a bitch to find. I'm still looking for a timing belt. I will rebuild the injector pump when this one blows from the Ultra Low Sulfer diesel. Beyond that I have a few bits and pieces to finish assembling before I call it "done" but I'm optimistic that once it stops snowing I will have the ability to finish the project.

Even with the "free" engine I paid $200 for the donor chasis. Another $1600 has gone into this project. I anticipate another $400 to make it safely drivable and easily another $2k before it's to the point that I would really want to keep it as my own. That's not too unfair considering I've seen ones with far more miles on them sell for 4 grand.

I would think that something so wrong as to cause shaking violent enough to crack the bellhousing shouldn't be that difficult to find, especially when it presents at 35 MPH!

Get a bright spotlight, crawl under there and have a friend move the steering wheel left then right slowly while you observe. Really check around the steering box mounting for possible unibody damage.

True although remember that the AX5 with diesel combination especially had a reputation for cracking at that starter housing. The starter housing on this transmission has broken twice in its service history already!

It is a fairly violent shaking but this Jeep has no real damage to it. I will check more closely in coming weeks when the snow melts. It's a real head scratcher for now though because the symptoms don't really present themselves at very slow speeds nor in turns. Only really seems to happen when the truck is driving straight down the road.

You describe a classic case of Death Wobble. The usual suspects are in no particular order:

o Tires out of balance
o Toe In out of range (needs to be 1/8" Toe In)
o Loose track bar bolts
o Loose track bar bracket (loosen bolts first then retorque)
o Worn tie rod ends

Not as common but still possible suspects:
o Worn axle u-joints
o Worn unit bearings
o Steering stabilizer
o Defective tire (try rotating tires front to rear)
o Steering box mount
o Cracked frame near steering box

Start with the easy stuff that requires no new parts. If none of those solve your DW, then carefully examine the listed components for possible failure and replace as necessary.

Might also want to check the Control Arm bushings.
If these bushings are worn out they will allow the front differential to oscillate when torque is applied.... which will affect steering...

i just got through my DW which did exactly as u explain except at 45 and u had to slow down to stop it. i put my sway bar on and got a new steering stabilizer seems to be almost totally gone

I distinctly remember the stabilizer bar links (or rather the bushings) looking pretty worn out. It's been a while since I've been under the truck. Once the engine was put back together I parked it outside a storage unit and there it has sat. About a week ago I dropped the transmission in the parking lot after the starter housing disaster but today it snowed a bunch more on me so it may be a little while before I get to check this problem out for sure.

One thing is for sure - eventually most of the suspension components are going to need replacing. The odometer shows 276,000 on the chasis. Plus this thing was sitting for a long time - last registration was in '01 and according to the previous owner it hadn't moved in 5 years! I anticipate the various rubber boots and bushings will turn to dust over the summer driving season so I'll be doing quite a bit of work. I'm thinking about doing the tie rod ends and track bar link at once and then get an allignment - then see how it wobbles.

The tires are all 4 new although they are just Kuhmos - we had a customer who had good luck with them once so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Back