• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone know how to tell if

motoxpete

NAXJA Forum User
The springs and leafs I just bought are 4.5 lift or 6? Guy had a great deal on CL for lift springs for a cherokee so I grabbed them. He wasn't sure if they where 4.5 or 6.... it doesn't matter to me since I bought them just to replace my sagged out AAL. I'm trying to get to 6" so if there 4.5 I'll do a shackle and if there 6 I'm good. Does anyone know how I could tell what they are though?
any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Motoxpete

Do you know what brand they are?

Unless you can identify them(Brand,part#) Id say no.You already bought them,so install them!

lol yeah that's what i"m going to have to do..... I just figured if there was a way to know I could buy whatever parts I need ahead of time. Well this would be a perfect weekend to start wrenching I guess haha

I really have no clue lol. I know the leafs kinda look like those pre runner kind tho. The very bottom has that strait leaf in in.... looks like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-0...m7QQcategoryZ33585QQihZ014QQitemZ330403245583
Not sure if that can tell me anything
Thank's
Pete

I had a set of procomp leafs that looked mirror image to those. Call the guy up and ask him.

Unless you can identify them(Brand,part#) Id say no.You already bought them,so install them!
x2. I say just put them on and measure the amount of lift you gained. Depending on if they were used for awhile or not, dont be surprised if they arent exactly 6 or 4.5 by now they could be sitting at 5 or 3.5.

Thank's guys!! That's what I"m going to do cherokeeboy thank you. I figure anything is going to be better then these beat stock springs lol. I started with a AAL when I went 4.5... needless to say I had to do a 2" block just to get it level. I'll do whatever to get rid of those damn things
Thank's
Motoxpete

Thank's guys!! That's what I"m going to do cherokeeboy thank you. I figure anything is going to be better then these beat stock springs lol. I started with a AAL when I went 4.5... needless to say I had to do a 2" block just to get it level. I'll do whatever to get rid of those damn things
Thank's
Motoxpete

no problem, anytime. tell me what your doing with the front. Do you have 4.5 coils? 6" coils? Keep in mind that if your going that high (im at 6.5 in front) then you need to get an adj. trac bar and unless you have long arms, you'll need some drop brackets. Also, some longer brake lines.

well I have 4.5 springs up front... I planned on just throwing the leafs on and putting a spacer up front. I do have adj lower control arms ready to be installed, already has trackbar and transfer drop. Prolly going to need brake lines tho and upper control arms

i can tell you a flat, shorty bottom leaf has NOTHING to do with 'prerunners'

Yeah that's why I put that " I really have no clue" in there. I know on ebay the ones that have that shorty bottom leaf always say "race" leafs in the title. That's why I say "they KINDA look like the prerunner ones"

Ya basically those flat bottom leafs do the same job as a flat add-a-leaf.

If I had my notes handy (I'd have to dig,) I could see if I could tell you the "free arch" on the OEM leaves. Then, set your new leaves eyes down (arch up) on a flat hard surface, and measure from the surface to the arch. This would be a quick scratch estimate - since if the springs are the same rate (#/in,) they'll "sag" the same amount when installed.

Not a "hard and fast" rule, but it's a decent thumb rule.

Wheeling tommorrow Pete?

Hey Dennis, sorry I just now saw this. Believe me I'm not happy I didn't get to head out today. Had some things I had to get done today. I'm deff going out next weekend though!!! My buddy just bought a huge land cruiser on 40" boggers, Me n him are already making plans for Sunday, I'll shoot you a text n see if you wanna go

If I had my notes handy (I'd have to dig,) I could see if I could tell you the "free arch" on the OEM leaves. Then, set your new leaves eyes down (arch up) on a flat hard surface, and measure from the surface to the arch. This would be a quick scratch estimate - since if the springs are the same rate (#/in,) they'll "sag" the same amount when installed.

Not a "hard and fast" rule, but it's a decent thumb rule.

5-90 if you do happen to come across that info I would deff give it a try. I'm really thinking they are 4.5.... but that would give me a better idea what or if I'll need anything else when I install them.
Thank's
Pete

Just checking but in your original post you made it sound as thou you are still using a factory shackle. If you are and those leafs end up being 6s it will ridE like you welded the axle to the frame rails.
Any lift over three inches with factory shackles will ride like hell. It's a simple fact of shackle angle. The more arc the the shorter distance between the eyes on the springs. In turn the angle gets worse.
I had a set of 7 inch on and xj I bought and the shackle was reversed. Just a word of caution

I have a adj shackle and AAL on my stock leafs. That was supposed to give me 4.5, however my stock springs where so bad I had to put small blocks in to even out the truck. Thank you though, You really just answered a future question for me. I wasn't sure if I could just run a 6" leaf spring
Thanks
Pete

Back