• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much driveline angle? best way to fix it?

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
well, just by looking at my driveline I can see that there is too much pinion angle in the rear. the question is how to adjust it properly? other than a SYE or hack-n-tap. I'm using all my funds for school right now.
here's the stats:

92 limited, 4.0, auto
NP242 w/ 1" transfer case drop
Dana 35 w/ 3.5 rusty's full spring pack, Daystar 1" lift shackle, 6* shims
Dana 44 sitting in the garage waiting to be installed

I don't really have any considerable vibes, but once I install the d44 this may change. from what i understand the d44 has a longer pinion, would that affect my driveline angle? I want to correct all the angles while I'm installing the d44. I just got an angle finder yesterday, but won't be able to tackle this until next week.
Should I remove the transfer case drop or the shims? I didn't take into consideration that the shackles would affect my angles when i installed them.:dunce:

thanks,
chris

I would take those shims out and see how that looks .( I have rustys 3.5" full packs too and my angles were way off when i put the shims on i ran it for a week and blew out two sets of driveshaft u joints once i took the shims out i didnt have a problem.)

6 degree shims? I added 2.5 degree shims to a Cherokee witha 3.5" RE lift and a 1" TC drop and that worked really well. Sometimes you will need to try different shims to see if that works on your particular rig. You don't have them in backwards, do you?

If you don't have a SYE and are using the stock style driveshaft then you should NOT use shims. Instead the pinion and slip yoke should be parallel to each other, with the pinion at 1-2* steeper to allow for rotation under acceleration.

How much lift do you have

6 degree shims? I added 2.5 degree shims to a Cherokee witha 3.5" RE lift and a 1" TC drop and that worked really well. Sometimes you will need to try different shims to see if that works on your particular rig. You don't have them in backwards, do you?

def not in backwards(fat side in the back), that would make my pinion pointing down. It's pointing up higher than the transfer case. when i ordered the shims it said 3* for a 3" lift and 6* for a lift higher than 3". I already had the lift shackles on which gave me about 4.5" of lift, but i didn't realize that the shackle also changed the angle. I'm going to pull the shims when i swap axles and then see what it looks like. I'm still waiting for the new leaf spring bushings to get here before i do the swap. If it doesn't look right, I'll put them back in and pull the transfer case drop.

thanks!

If you don't have a SYE and are using the stock style driveshaft then you should NOT use shims. Instead the pinion and slip yoke should be parallel to each other, with the pinion at 1-2* steeper to allow for rotation under acceleration.

How much lift do you have

Very true. However the transfer case drop points the output down some so the pinion angle should come up to remain parallel. The longer shackles will correct this to some degree but it might not be enough. 6 degrees seems too much. The best way would be to get an angle finder and measure the angles.

you neet much smaller shims as stated. your pinion is way too high right now. but you could keep those shims for when you do get an SYE. your t-case output and pinion should be close to parallel without the SYE. with an sye you want the pinion pointed at the t-case output(parallel with the DS)

Back