• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 comparison

2000maroonxj

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at 3 dana 44's on craigs list and i'm trying to figure out which would be the easiest to put under my 2000 xj. I dont have a whole lot of fabrication experience but I have the resources to get the job done. here are the choices of host 44 vehicles.
1) 72 blaser
2)78 dodge
3) unknown year scout

I know that crash has covered some of this in the Dana 44 post but im still trying to find a 44 that will fit. is a grand wagoneer and a rubicon tj 44 the only axles that are at the right width to fit under an xj?

If there was no other option than to get a full width 44 which one would require the least fab skills.

Depending on the Dodge, they were passenger drop. I could've had a D44 for only the cost of shipping from CO but it's a Ramcharger and the diff is one the wrong side.

Which end is this going in? XJs had a factory D44 available in the rear. The TJ Rubicon is a direct swap for the front. Wagoneers are wider but not full widths.

if you're talking front axles, all three of those are passenger drop - so pick "d" None of the above.

Your D44 options for a front are - late model Waggy (LP) most post 1970 Fords (HP - most), TJ Rubicon; JK Rubicon. The TJ is the right width and the only true bolt in, but he JK is close. The waggy and JK rubi are both slightly wider than stock (61.5 and 63, respectively v. 60.5 stock), and the fords will all be full width, varying from 64-67 -- you can run them that way, but most likely will want to narrow them if you're not changing the rear out. HTH.:peace:

edit -- there are some late 70/early 80's dodge D44's as well that are driver drop too, but IIRC, they use a very weak unit bearing...

The dodge and blazer likely wont work, neither will the scout .. they are passenger side drop, you need driverside drop.

Wagoneer, Rubicon or F150 are your options.

edit -- there are some late 70/early 80's dodge D44's as well that are driver drop too, but IIRC, they use a very weak unit bearing...
all dodge front axles from the full size were pass drop lp untill 94 when they went to drivers sise

Back