• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Rear Wheel Seal

drknyt

NAXJA Forum User
So I couldn't find any answers and I hoping this is a quick question, is there anyway to change the wheel seals on a rear 44 out of a 90 MJ without destroying the bearings when you remove them? i have access to a full shop with presses and bearing separators and any other tool that would allow me to safely remove them!

it should be ok. just be careful. could also drill into the seal and screw in a screw and pull it out. this has helped me in rear main seals.

could also drill into the seal and screw in a screw and pull it out. this has helped me in rear main seals.

No,that wont work!

To the OP,you should replace the bearing collar with a new on at minimum.

I always destroyed the cage for the bearing even with the use of a bearing serpator.

So a new set of bearings and collar is in order.

it should be ok. just be careful. could also drill into the seal and screw in a screw and pull it out. this has helped me in rear main seals.
I hope you aren't talking about an XJ RMS, because they are two piece rubber seals.

OP - yeah, sucks, but I hate pulling stuff apart twice so I usually just replace all wear items in my path while doing an overhaul.

Its been my experience that worn wheel bearings lead to seal failure. Highly recommend you replace the bearings and seals.

Change both bearing and seal. It´s cheap and safe

I would exactly say $160 for bearings and seals is the cheapest thing in the world.

But I agree, Just replace them. I think it will be more effort than it is worth to try to save the bearings when taking them off.

I would exactly say $160 for bearings and seals is the cheapest thing in the world.

Holly batman......way over priced. 25.00 bucks per side for timken set10 and 5 bucks per side for the seals 481837. Free labor if you do have access to a 20 ton shop press. These were Autozone prices.

Back