• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Dimming Mirror & Overhead Console

Ok, so I have auto dimming mirror from a 98 Sebring. Tried hooking it up last night, I know which wire is which on the mirror, but don't know which wires are what on the Overhead Console. I know it's possible, and have read a bunch of threads, but no one seems to say which wire to splice into for the 12v ignition wire. There's like 12 wires up there, I don't have a voltage meter or anything like that... so...

which wire for the '98 overhead console is the 12v ignition source? Thanks.

On the 96-down the white with black tracer (or other way around, I don't remember) is ignition switched power. The pinkish red wire is battery constant power so don't use that.

ya, the pink one I tried last night. what do you mean white with black tracer? I assume a tracer is a stripe. Isn't there two white/black wires?

thanks for the quick response!

Seriously, buy a multimeter.

You can make a 12 volt test lamp with a .20 cent 1156 bulb, some scrap wire, and solder if you are broke.

Seriously, buy a multimeter.

You can make a 12 volt test lamp with a .20 cent 1156 bulb, some scrap wire, and solder if you are broke.

i am broke, why are you always riding my ass! gah!

i have a cheap-o thing like that, small mag-light bulb, two AA batteries. that would work without the batteries right? i mean, this seems so straight foreward and sorry if i'm a moron.

Not to hi-jack your thread (ok I am.. ) I was looking at a pre-97 (probably early 90s) XJ at the J-yard that has a full overhead console. I noticed there are two little black digital screens (I think I remember the word "metric")in the console. Are these are outside temp and compass? I was thinking of putting the console in my '87 XJ (police stripper). I was wondering how much wiring is involved to make it work since my XJ is so basic..

The J-yard wants $30 for the console and $30 for the headliner. \

Your thread is about wiring a overhead console.. and that's what my question is about.. so not a total hi-jack..

Check out the12volt.com It was a great source for me when i installed my dynex177 ( late 90's-early 0O's chevy)

You have power and ground and a third wire? My guess would be for the reverse cancel. So when you go to back up it cancels the dimming. If you chose not to hook this up then just ground it. Supposedly leaving it hanging can cause the dim function not to work right.

PINK wire in postion 2 on the OHC wire harness is 12v+

Last edited:
Compass ill work no matter what, the temp will work right only if you have the ambient sensor as well

Not to hi-jack your thread (ok I am.. ) I was looking at a pre-97 (probably early 90s) XJ at the J-yard that has a full overhead console. I noticed there are two little black digital screens (I think I remember the word "metric")in the console. Are these are outside temp and compass? I was thinking of putting the console in my '87 XJ (police stripper). I was wondering how much wiring is involved to make it work since my XJ is so basic..

The J-yard wants $30 for the console and $30 for the headliner. \

Your thread is about wiring a overhead console.. and that's what my question is about.. so not a total hi-jack..
Yes. It's only one display actually, and technically it's a vacuum fluorescent display not an LCD, just a nitpick there though. The metric/US button is for the temp display, the compass shows N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW.

so on my '87 police stripper.. I might get the temp and compass working at best right? (The donor is pre-97)
Yes. The fuel economy stuff isn't even built into the pre-97 OHCs so it'll all line up nicely.

You need the metal bracket for the roof at the back end, it bolts to the same two holes as the dome light mounting pegs. You can get away without the one for the front if you didn't get it - you just need a ~3" long #8 screw and one of those little plastic retainer clips. The rear bracket can be harvested from any mid 90s Dodge Caravan with an overhead console iirc, if you go back to the JY and the donor is already gone/crushed/whatever.

With an 87 you may or may not have the proper connectors to do an OEM install. Your best luck installing one will be on a 91 to 96 with at least power locks or power windows/mirrors etc, since it'll have the wiring harness connector you need to plug into.

Stuff to get - the wiring harness that runs down the passenger A-pillar and plugs in under the passenger side kick panel. If you did not get it (but got the pigtail that plugs into the OHC) you can wire it up but it'll take some work.

A good source for info on what wire does what on the pre-97 OHC: http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/barracuda/OVERHEADCONSOLE/

To get the temp sensor working you just need a temp sensor and some wire. You can use the sensor out of any ZJ (or the donor XJ), just look behind the grille for a small module with a two wire connector bolted to one of the vertical supports in front of the AC condenser. On the XJ it is bolted to the same bolt that holds the clip for the bottom of the center of the header panel, right behind the bumper, it's a pain to get to.

You don't need the headliner, just cut holes in your existing one. The rule of thumb here is to measure three times (and measure how far back the front of the OHC is from the front of the headliner on the donor), cut once, start very small, just a hole centered under where it'll be and a few inches in from the outline in every direction, then expand the hole as needed.

Let me know if you have other questions, I did an OEM-level install on my XJ (plug and play, no modifications needed to any wiring) and a custom on a local member's XJ (we had to do full custom wiring because he didn't have any power accessories) - all we couldn't get working on the latter was display dimming and that's because it was 10pm by the time we finished the rest and we didn't feel like digging through the FSM for another wire color code to tap into.

Kastein,

I really appreciate the lengthy detailed response. I currently do not have a headliner and all.. and I have the very base dome light with no switch. I haven't robbed any of these parts from the Jyard XJ yet. I don't' think its going anywhere. I first peaked in it because I was looking for a headliner, and I saw the overhead console.. It does sound like a lot of work.. heh..
My interior is tan, and the headliner and console are covered in grey. So I would have to get both the console and the headliner recovered. This particular J-yard is a "we dont' let you touch anything" junk yard. They have though.. let me pull door panels and other small things. So if I asked them to pull the wiring and the sensor.. I dunno if they would be able to (the workers don't speak much English) or take the time do it right.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to lay it all out for me. I'll mull it over.
Thanks.

Back