• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Fluid Level Ques.

LOUD02Special

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 AW4 231 Country, 140,4xx

So I've been doing the progressive fluid changes, simply changing the fluid in the pan. Last night was the second one I did, and I checked the fluid level today, and it was just a hair low (It was at normal running temp, just after cycling through all the gears). I've drained just under two quarts each time I've done it, however after reading a couple of threads it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-3.5 qts, is that correct? If so, I'm assuming I should add exactly one quart? I just don't want to overfill.

I get about 3.5 quarts when draining the pan on my 99.

The only accurate way of refilling is to go "a little bit at a time", then recheck level on dipstick. It doesn't take much fluid added to bring up the level on the dipstick. Go slow.

Overfilling is not good for the transmission.

Takes 20+ minutes running to fully warm up trans. Get the Jeep as level as you can and try to read in that same spot each time, idleing, hot.
Note that the dipstick is in the very corner of a large flat pan so dipstick reading is very sensitive to any tilt change. Do not go above full mark, as mentioned above, AW-4 do not like any overfill, often puking it back out. Dex 3 only.

See long thread last day or two on resetting the trans shift cable at throttle, good info.

good luck,
Orange

Sounds good guys, I will be addressing this in the next few days. I'll also be taking a look at the throttle adjustment in the aforementioned thread, certainly can't hurt and seems to have a great success rate in just tightening up response.

Back