• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED reverse lights

snowjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and the only one that fit was from 2005. So have led's gotten and better? Meaning are they brighter than factory bulbs? I have tried 2 diffent types of add on lights which either get broken off by snow banks or rot fast from salt spray due to snowplowing. I have also tried 50w halogen which worked but to hot when plowing.

Yes leds will be brighter than a halogen bulb of the same size.......

Except that you have to be careful which type of LED bulbs you buy. Unless you choose the right type, they won't throw light as effectively as incandescents will. Reversing lights especially tend to wash out and not be terribly visible in daylight even if the sun's not shining directly on them.

I did an LED conversion on my Brat a while back. Brake, tail, and signal lights were fine, but I had a hell of a time finding white LEDs for the reversing lights that a) had a useful light pattern and b) didn't cost the earth. If it helps, I can dig up my supplier info on those when I get back to the house; IIRC, total cost of doing those plus all the running lights was in the $65 range. I'm still not super-thrilled with the output of the reversing lights, though.

Wrong.

LED's in your reverse lenses will put out MINIMAL light, and much less than factory. You won't be happy.

Werd.

I really like my halogens with 55w bulbs. Werk gud.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I think your best bet for reverse lights would be auxiliary lights. in other words, something else.

I think the current back up lamps are more designed to be indicators to pedestrians in a parking lot far more than to allow you to see behind you.

I had an 84 chevy pickup that i tried to get more backup light out of with different bulbs and reflective material behind the bulb. the light would be brighter visually when looking at it from behind, but there was no real beam pattern that would put that light to the ground. I would assume the jeep is similar.

I think your best bet for reverse lights would be auxiliary lights. in other words, something else.

I think the current back up lamps are more designed to be indicators to pedestrians in a parking lot far more than to allow you to see behind you.

I have LED reverse lights and they are not good for actual light. They are good for the pedestrian scenario. I have a pair of lights on the rear of my roof rack when I really need to see behind me.

The 795s work great. Give 'em a try. They actually illuminate the area you want to see. I've used them in all my cars. Simple. Don't touch the glass with your dirty mitts!!! Use a Kleenex to grasp the glass.

The 795s work great. Give 'em a try. They actually illuminate the area you want to see. I've used them in all my cars. Simple. Don't touch the glass with your dirty mitts!!! Use a Kleenex to grasp the glass.

That goes for all Halogen and other high-temp bulbs.

Back