• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting TSB...

dizzymac

NAXJA Forum User
Came across this while doing a search...thought it was kind of interesting:

Description: NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL DAIMLERCHRYSLER MODELS/ENGINES BUILT BEFORE AND AFTER THE 2001 MODEL YEAR. This bulletin reinforces a requirement to cease the current practice of using supplemental oil additive treatments in all DaimlerChrysler engines.

Details: Engine oil additives/supplements (EOS) should not be used to enhance engine oil performance. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to extend engine oil change intervals. No additive is known to be safe for engine durability and can degrade emission components.

Additives can contain undesirable materials that harm the long term durability of engines by:

1. Doubling the level of Phosphorus in the engine oil. The ILSAC (International Lubricant Standard Approval Committee) GF-2 and GF-3 standards require that engine oil contain no more than 0.10% Phosphorus to protect the vehicles emissions performance. Addition of engine oil additives/supplements can poison, from the added sulfur and phosphorus, catalysts and hinder efforts to guarantee our emissions performance to 80,000 miles and new requirements of 150,000 miles.

2. Altering the viscosity characteristics of the engine oil so that it no longer meets the requirements of the specified viscosity grade.

3. Creating potential for an undesirable additive compatibility interaction in the engine crankcase. Generally it is not desirable to mix additive packages from different suppliers in the crankcase; there have been reports of low temperature engine failures caused by additive package incompatibility with such mixtures.

I wouldn't knowingly post BS, So heres the info off the NHTSA site:

Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Service Bulletin Num : 0900301 Date of Bulletin: MAY 04, 2001
NHTSA Item Number: 620063
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE
Summary:
THIS BULLETIN REINFORCES A REQUIREMENT TO CEASE THE CURRENT PRACTICE OF USING SUPPLEMENTAL OIL ADDITIVE TREATMENTS IN ALL DIAMLER CHRYSLER ENGINES. *TT
Check to Request Research. Submit below.

you're right. sorry bout the BS call.

i checked the info you posted against my factory TSB's. the reason i never noticed it, is because it doesn't seem to show up under jeep when you look it up. i only found it listed directly under chrysler. but sure enough the tsb then turns around and has jeeps and other listed in there.

so why wouldn't they post that TSB across the entire chrysler automotive line??? weird.

oh well.......i guess since i've used additives, i'll only get 199,999 miles out of my engine instead of 200,000 miles. lol

I guess I shouldn't have put MMO in the 95' XJ work vehicle that I used that has 387K miles on it and still going, damn additives, I'd probably have got about a gizillion miles out of it......LOL

Not shooting at you 1985xjlaredo, but that article drives me insane. I have been seeing that test for to long. The fool likes to talk as though that is a controlled test. He went wrong from the beginning. They need to go back and at least use the same dif fluid. (not a premium vs. candle wax) Then possibly the same weight of fluid would be nice, then add lucas, But then when adding Lucas to the dif fluid, he needed to use the manufacturer recomended quantity. Which is 50% to 100% Lucas when used in a Differential. 3 strikes and he is out in the first test. And last in my argument. The pennzoil is allready foaming badly before the Lucas is added. I'M NOT SAYING THE RESULTS WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THE SAME THOUGH! But my opinion.

Then check out the oil test. Once again he gets a premium oil vs. a not so premium. And then skips out on the proper quantities again.

im tired of typing.

Gene MJ

Hmm Good point and ive alway heard that the notpremium oil is the same as the good oil. I dont see any auto parts place running there own factory making oil?

Back