• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped bolt removal help!

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to remove my driveshaft to replace the double carden joint because I am hearing that angry sparrow. One of the bots at the transfercase has stripped the head of the bolt so I cannot remove it now. Any ideas on how I can get this bolt off? because of the tight pasce there at the yoke I can't get a good grip on it with a set of vice grips. I have a set of stripped bolt removers but not one small enough for this 8 mm bolt. I'm at a loss here right now.

Dremel tool and cut off/grind away the head.

Slight thread-jack. Glad to hear you were able to work your issue out, but i am curious about the double carden joint noise. I have noticed a chirp every now and then when parked at idle. sounds like its coming directly below the shifter (AW4). Thats a tell-tale sign its time to replace that joint?

(93' sport, 4.0HO, 4x4, AW4, 120K, NP231)

No that joint wouldn't be moving if you were parked. i just replaced mine, it was a rumble/vibration that when pulled into 4x4 would increase ALOT

Wow... i certainly feel a bit special now. Thanks for the info. i will go sit in the corner now. lol!

Maybe your noise is related to the t/case shifter. Try using your hand to put pressure on the lever next time, see if that changes the noise.

I am trying to remove my driveshaft to replace the double carden joint because I am hearing that angry sparrow. One of the bots at the transfercase has stripped the head of the bolt so I cannot remove it now. Any ideas on how I can get this bolt off? because of the tight pasce there at the yoke I can't get a good grip on it with a set of vice grips. I have a set of stripped bolt removers but not one small enough for this 8 mm bolt. I'm at a loss here right now.
Just for future reference... this is the cause of your problems. Use a good quality 5/16" wrench next time. 8mm and 5/16" are only 2.5 thousandths of an inch apart, but damn does it ever make a difference on those four bolts!

don't ask how I learned this... or why I now own a 5/16" flat GearWrench :anon:

Back