• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96-00 xj Rear speaker bar in a 90 xj

groovyjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
So I was in the junkyard the other day, and I came across a 00 cherokee that was pretty gutted but the rear speaker housing thats in the ceiling was still there. So I was wondering has anyone used one of these in an earlier xj that didnt come with one ?I have a 90 xj.

Yes, I put one in my 90, no problems. I had to make up some longer mounting posts for the dome light, since I forgot to grab the ones that came with it. I grabbed the wiring out of the 97 clunker and adapted it.

There are two different soundbars between 96 and 01 (I think it's 97-99, and 00-01. My buddy's 96 has hatch speakers- no soundbar). One is a very easy install- the other is integrated into the headliner itself, and is not a simple "few screws and done" upgrade. It sounds like you're looking at the latter.

it depends on the trim level of a 96. 1997 has the same bar as the 96, and then the 98-01 had them built in to the headliner (no separate bar) IIRC. but to answer your question, one from a 96-97 will go right in. you do need the longer light mounts

Stock is about 5.25". I have a pair of Kicker DS600s (6" IIRC) that would have fit with 0 mods. You could probably fit most 6.5" with very little work.

Sorry for the crappy pic quality, but this is the one in my 97- this is the earlier/separate sound bar, not the one integrated into the headliner. If you can find one of these, it's just a few screws and some wiring. The later style, you could probably make work as well. A little cutting, some fabric, voila and all that.

Image004.jpg

Right on! I picked one up out a 95 Cherokee at the junk yard for 4 bucks. The bar is in good shape expect the headliner material but whatever doesn't matter anyways cause its tan and my interior is maroon. So I'm going to rip it off, get some maroon headliner material when I go to fix my sagging headliner in my jeep now. Then I'll run my speaker wire when I have the head liner out. I'll take a picture when its done. Thanks for your help guys.

I'm about ready to go buy my new stereo and speakers. So how did you guys wire your speaker bars to the stereo? I plan on keeping my speakers in the hatch as well so I can't really use those wires. I thought about running new speaker wire too under the headerliner but how to I ad it to the stereo?

Back