• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Inline 6 Air Intake

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am under the impression that a simple stock air box with maybe a drop in K&N air filter is probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to 4.0 liter air intakes. Anybody second this? I am thinking about ditching my eBay ricer mod cold air intake and resorting back to the stock air box with K&N.

just my thought.... i also have the ricer short intake pipe with cone filter... I drilled a hole and 1/2inch thread and located the IAT sensor to the actual pipe and plugged the old location on the manifold. works good, slight power and mpg increase. the stock xj airbox has a restriction adapter where the hose goes into the box. maybe the k n drop in along with removing this restricting baffle.....

oem is the best unless you have high demands for more air, and im gonna assume you have no mods to you engine internally which means you dont nee anything oer oem. k&n's suck, crappy filters. waste your money on something else like rustys lift parts....wait.....thats even worse. maybe there isnt a good way to waste you money. go to napa and buy a napa gold filter and call it good.

OEM or equiv if you are staying with the airbox

If you use the stock airbox a good Wix filter will give you all you need and do the best job of filtering the air. If you want better flow I would probably figure a way to put an AEM dry filter in there with a snorkel of some kind.

K&N's, or any oiled filter without a good pre-filter, will fail to filter A LOT of dust. theyre not recommended for dusty conditions.

A major NO-NO in the desert.

here in cali, stock airboxes are mandated, so i run a stock airbox with a catchcan., only reason i see to go aftermarket is to clean stuff up.

if your doing it for horsepower, your gonna be dissapointed. you may get a quicker throttle response, maybe .2 hp, but the stock box outbreathes the motor in oem form.

Yeah, I didn't seal the box completely (wanted to keep a few of the small holes in the bottom/side in case it did suck up a lot of water), but I had to patch the front up- I'd cut it out previously when I was playing with air filters, sensor locations, etc. It's crude at the moment, but I was bored and not concerned with the appearance so much as seeing if it worked. 16ga alum sheet, some screws, and black RTV.

Couple of pics here-
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/

if you said a k&n was crappy, because it doesnt filter for shit.... you would have a 100% legit argument....

if you said rustys was crappy, because their lifts are nowhere the quality of other suspension mfg's, you would have an opinion based in logic.

do you understand the K&N compromise built2flex?

if you said a k&n was crappy, because it doesnt filter for shit.... you would have a 100% legit argument....

if you said rustys was crappy, because their lifts are nowhere the quality of other suspension mfg's, you would have an opinion based in logic.

do you understand the K&N compromise built2flex?

Sure man. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :laugh3:

i got this for making a homebrew intake so it sucks air from in front of my windsheild. right now its just this filter, but after doing this, getting new plugs, and seafoaming it i actually spun the tires on DRY pavement from a rolling start in 1st gear! and when shifting to 2nd! could never do that before. not bad for $30.

http://http://cgi.ebay.ca/1992-1993...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c1086267a

EDIT: the air temps here are from about -10*C to -30*C, so i don't have to worry about warm underhood temps right now.
EDIT TAKE 2: i also have a glasspack muffler and no cat

Last edited:
If you keep the stock airbox, pull the baffle out of the outlet.

Not all of them have that baffle in them, my '98 didn't have that in the tube, but my sister's '92 did. All I did for mine was cut the front wall out of a junk yard airbox and stick a K&N panel filter in it, wouldn't mind trying to get some kind of metal intake tube that runs from the box to the elbow that dumps into the TB so I could replace the factory corregated plastic tube. Not a huge difference in performance and I didn't see a difference in mileage, but it did allow for more of an intake roar when I get on it. If I ever get around to putting an upgraded cat back type exhaust on it I may see a bump in performance between the two, but I won't expect much.

Back