• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a new muffler

right now my cataltic converter makes so much noise when i start it up and the exhaust just sounds like crap. Im planning on replacing all the exhaust from the downpipe to tail pipe but i dont want to spend the money on a cat back system. my plan is to buy the muffler and pre shaped tailpipe seperate and put it together seems to b e alot cheaper then buying a catback system

LOL

LOCAL JUNKYARDS SELL FLOWMASTERS FOR 12$. new, used, turned down tips, etc....
BEST PLACE TO GET AN EXHAUST.

Installed under 40$

LOL

LOCAL JUNKYARDS SELL FLOWMASTERS FOR 12$. new, used, turned down tips, etc....
BEST PLACE TO GET AN EXHAUST.

Installed under 40$

LOL, I'm sure that would be quality... A junk yard muffler.

If you want something for like a flowmaster, look into the Thrush welded series. That is what I run, very reasonable price.

X2, I gotta say, that has to be the most :gee: suggestion I've ever heard. Almost as bad as shopping for new brake rotors and pads at the junkyard. I wouldn't run junkyard exhaust on anything except a complete beater junkmobile or if I knew I was gonna be dragging it over rocks and completely wrecking it a few days later.

I picked up a brand new OEM quality muffler for $36 on rockauto.

Guys. At pyrite pick-a-part in pedley SoCal... At the front of the yard, is a Huuuge ass bin full of NAME BRAND only mufflers. The yard removes them for you and sells them under 15$. If you do some looking over to inspect for soot, rust, and holes- you can definately find a newish expensive brand name muffler for 1/10 the price.

Reason I would buy one:
I junked a truck last year. It had 500 or so miles on new flowmasters and I forgot to take em off.

Believe me you can find new stuff at local yards.

Just look here: ;)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024795

right now my cataltic converter makes so much noise when i start it up and the exhaust just sounds like crap. Im planning on replacing all the exhaust from the downpipe to tail pipe but i dont want to spend the money on a cat back system. my plan is to buy the muffler and pre shaped tailpipe seperate and put it together seems to b e alot cheaper then buying a catback system

I got a new tailpipe from autozone a year or two ago for about $18 for my 87 :thumbup:

Guys. At pyrite pick-a-part in pedley SoCal... At the front of the yard, is a Huuuge ass bin full of NAME BRAND only mufflers. The yard removes them for you and sells them under 15$. If you do some looking over to inspect for soot, rust, and holes- you can definately find a newish expensive brand name muffler for 1/10 the price.

Reason I would buy one:
I junked a truck last year. It had 500 or so miles on new flowmasters and I forgot to take em off.

Believe me you can find new stuff at local yards.

thats a cool feature of THAT yard, but it is kinda rare. shoulda been more elaborate in your original post, as everyones negative comments regarding junkyard exhaust pretty much holds true, 99.9% of the time...

thats like saying, forget buying suspension parts from companies like RE, TNT, or rustys, you can get that stuff at the junkyard bro!

Well, I believe there is still a rebate on the dynomax cat-back system.. before rebate just over 100$
Other wise, your best bet.. pick a muffler you want, and have an exhaust shop bend up pipe for you.

Back