• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock 4.10's

mpro1

NAXJA Forum User
Did xjs come with stock 4.10's ???

IF so in what year/model/engine config

I use my jeep for on road and soft sand use only no Rock Crawling (Not much rock crawling on long island NY)

id like to regear it ....need to get pep back w/31" tires....

without stripping stock dana 30/35 getting gears & carriers ....i would like to start searching for 4.10's in stock axle set-ups.....although there is nowhere to wheel on long island there sure are alot jeep cherokees everywhere!!! and alot of potential "PART VEHICLES".......just want to know which to look at which not to bother with.

....................Thanks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What years came with the 4.56 gears if you know? Or were they just sporadicly thrown into 2.5L with different options? I have never heard of them coming with 4.56s stock...

from searching on car-parts.com I found a few XJ's with the 4.56 in them
the 2.5L with manual tranny had the 4.56 and the auto's had 4.10
not sure if thats all of them but it would make sense. didn't keep an eye on the years tho sorry.

I know the parts XJ I have came with 4.56's. 89 2.5L with the AW4. To bad your in NY as both the F&R are for sale. I have the rear & Prepmech has the front, if any one is interested. JIM.

Thanks guys....illxj yeah think shipping to NY would'nt be worth it.....hopefully i'll find a 2.5l for parts local....

Is your jeep a manual or an auto? If it's a manual just throw in some stock 3.55 axles out of an auto. I have a 4.0 manual and when my axles got screwed up i got a set out of a 98 auto. Puts it a little better then being stock with 31's plus its so easy to find 3.55's When I had my stock gearing my speedo was about 5 under and the power was so so. After the 3.55 the pwoer is back and the speedo is about 2 mph over what i'm driving. And I have no problems going 75-85 on the mass pike with this set up, only occasionally do I downshift to 4th for a hill on the highway (i have alot of drag from my lights, highlift, shovel and tire on my roof rack) Hope this helps! I got both my axles for $150 (30/8.25 29 spline)

yeah, see, I would def do that, but I am running 33x12.50s so I want a bit deeper than 3.55, I really want 4.56, even more so I want 4.88 since I plan on running 35s within a year, but that would require an 8.8 swap, so I am looking into that for next summer. Not sure exactly what I am doing yet. I am still running the 3.07s with the 33s and I just keep it in 4th on the pike, and downhill or level ground do 5th, and I get good gas mileage for what it is, so I am in no huge hurry. If I can find a jeep with 4.56 stock gears though, i might have to get it as a parts jeep and swap out the axles though..

4.56's only came stock in XJ's from '87-'89, with the 2.5L and AW4 tranny. Nothing else.

(I've got a D30 from one waiting to go in my MJ, that I pulled from the junkyard last year.....'89 XJ 2.5/AW4)

Jeff

I got 1990 4.0 and stock 3.07/1----------90xjay 3.55 axles sounds good and cheap
was it really worth it????

ILLXJ said:
I know the parts XJ I have came with 4.56's. 89 2.5L with the AW4. To bad your in NY as both the F&R are for sale. I have the rear & Prepmech has the front, if any one is interested. JIM.

x2, The 2.5L AW4 XJ's came with 4.56's, thats what my front axle is out of. Just about all other 4 cylinders came with 4.10's

Interesting, did those 4 cyl only come with a D35, or maybe a C8.25?
I'm going to assume the 35, but one can only hope...

if you have 3.07 i would just get the 3.55 instead of 4.10 w/ the 31" tires. ive got 3.55 w/ 32" tires and out of the hole isnt bad, just towing my atv's upstate NY i cant use OD, here on LI i have no problems. I'm looking to put 33" on mine, and i'm goin to need 4.10. i could sell you my axles if interested, no shipping since i live in LI, NY

boredchimp said:
Interesting, did those 4 cyl only come with a D35, or maybe a C8.25?
I'm going to assume the 35, but one can only hope...
I'm gonna say they are all D35's. I don't think the 8.25 came online until 90 or 91. It would be nice to find a 44 with factory 4.56's:loveu: . But I doubt if that ever happened. JIM.

XJMarty said:
all 2,1Tds came with 4.11s, D30s, D35s, 8.25s .......
We don't have many of those over here. JIM.

mpro1 said:
AHM...........which axles??? both F&R??? Cond??? How Much???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks>>>>>>>>>
Who are you asking? JIM.

Back