• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i hate mud now!

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
went through some water/mud bout tire high on a set of 245/75/15 a/t's and got stuck today. got pulled out and now rear main seal is leaking like a sieve. first thing i did was check the oil and it was over full. drained it refilled it with amsoil to specs and it is still leaking out the rear main seal bad. knocks on start up but goes away, and runs fine till it warms up. advice? 88 4.0 ba 10/5 2" lift

It was over full? Was it overfull when you went into the mudhole? You might have mud or water in the oil sump now... or a blown head gasket. Drain that oil and check if there is anything other than oil in it.

Silly rabbit,... mud is for toads.

Tip--when you suspect contamination in the crankcase--fuel, coolant, water & mud--don't fill it with an expensive oil, you may have to change it a few times to flush out the contaminants.

So it runs fine until it warms up...then what?

Dan89XJ--no OEM PCV system on the 4.0--it is a CCV system, no valve.

figured out whats wrong... cracked piston. compression leaks by and blows oil through rear main seal. i think maintaining rpm at 2500 (usually dont go above 2) helped the 170,000k + motor along to death. thanks for the help. guess now i have time to let it sit so i can do my suspension while im fixin the motor. 4" bastard pack 4" coils (unsure of brand as of now) adj lowers, and 8.8 swap 3.55s and 32's

Back