• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joint failure?

Apostle

NAXJA Forum User
Read a post on another thread, so got me to wondering.

I have a warble comming from the front driver side, under the feet.

it doesnt happen all the time. but when going above 30... i get a fast "warble"

"warble warble warble" fast for about 5 seconds. then it goes away.

its not constant. sounds like a tire out of round or going flat, but tires are good. (swapped tires, sounds still there).

no metal on metal grind, no clunks.

what do you all think it is?

Sounds like the centering ball on the double cardan of the front drive shaft. I hear the sound frequently described as angry birds. Maybe shoot some grease in there with a needle on the grease gun and see if it goes away.

Read a post on another thread, so got me to wondering.

I have a warble comming from the front driver side, under the feet.

it doesnt happen all the time. but when going above 30... i get a fast "warble"

"warble warble warble" fast for about 5 seconds. then it goes away.

its not constant. sounds like a tire out of round or going flat, but tires are good. (swapped tires, sounds still there).

no metal on metal grind, no clunks.

what do you all think it is?

I have the SAME issue it seems, and was about to ask about it. It only happens to me when I'm easing off the gas and usually between 35-55 mph.

One time, on a trailer, I forgot to tighten the lug nuts & an hour into the trip, the studs wore the lug nut holes in the steel wheel into large holes, and it would shift back and forth depending on if I was coasting or hitting the gas. My noise sounds exactly like that noise, but I know that's not it. Similar to "a tire out of round".

Like above, it's coming directly from under the driver's feet, and only happens sometimes, not even every time above 35. I'm thinking a U-joint or bearing gone bad.

lawsoncl said:
centering ball on the double cardan of the front drive shaft

I know this may be much to ask, but can you post a pic of where this is? my factory manual is 3 hours away at my shop, and I'd rather not travel to my shop with this noise unless I have to. Thanks!

I got my driveshafts for 20 apiece, had to pull them myself though. And before I got my hydro jack, it cost me 20 (or a long time with a bottle jack) to get the vehicle put up on a stand for disassembly.

to me it doesn't sound like angry birds, more like two raccoons fighting over a sandwich in a very very small tin box. more like knocking.

it prolly is the u-joint, but what is involved in replacing a front drive shaft? I have quite a few XJs in the local JY that would donate, but I'd like to know what parts I need or what would go into takin one out/putting one in, before I go to the trouble.

Best thing to do is to remove the front DS and see if the sound goes away. If it does, you know where the problem is.

There are 8 bolts that hold the DS in place. Easy peasy.

Best thing to do is to remove the front DS and see if the sound goes away. If it does, you know where the problem is.

There are 8 bolts that hold the DS in place. Easy peasy.

if it's that easy, I think I'll try that today.

question though...

would the front drive shaft make a noise like that if 4x4 wasn't engaged (wouldn't it not turn, therefore not make noise)

Last edited:
It's easy. Just make sure you have a good quality 5/16" ratcheting box wrench - I'm partial to the GearWrench, it'll run you about 11 dollars at Lowes or Sears. Do NOT use an 8mm wrench under any circumstances unless you like rounding bolt heads off.

It'll still turn (remember, the front wheels still turn) it just won't have as much force on it. So the noise may go away or lessen when in 2WD.

It's easy. Just make sure you have a good quality 5/16" ratcheting box wrench - I'm partial to the GearWrench, it'll run you about 11 dollars at Lowes or Sears. Do NOT use an 8mm wrench under any circumstances unless you like rounding bolt heads off.

It'll still turn (remember, the front wheels still turn) it just won't have as much force on it. So the noise may go away or lessen when in 2WD.

I was looking under the Jeep today (replacing bump stops), and there isn't any play in the rear drive shaft, but some in the front drive shaft. is this normal? if i turn it really hard and really fast back and forth, it sort of sounds like the noise that is bothering me.

The rear driveshaft has the entire weight of the vehicle resting on it if you put it in Park (auto only obviously) so it'll have zero play usually. If you put the parking brake on and shift the transfer case into neutral, they should both have a little bit of play, but not too much. How much is too much depends on how all the parts are doing - axleshaft U-joints, spider gears, ring and pinion (and setup), bearings, driveshaft U-joints and slip spline, etc.

ok, I got how the rear DS shouldn't have any play, makes sense. but how much is too much... that part confuses me. all I saw was the front drive shaft connecting to flanges at the TC and the front diff.

I wasn't under there very long, but is there more I need to be inspecting.

No, just remove the front DS and drive it. It takes like 3 minutes and immediately tells you if it's the problem.

Back