• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" install, what else do I need?

xjstock++

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the XJ world - I recently acquired a 2001 4.0 auto w/ C8.25's & I'm going to order & install a RE 3.5" super-flex kit (full spring packs). The guys at RE said I'll need either 2 degree shims & a T-case drop kit or 4 degree shims and a SYE kit & CV driveshaft. I'm leaning towards the SYE/CV solution.

Any advice on which SYE/CV kit I should order? I'd like to keep it pretty simple: I'm a change my own oil and work on my own brakes kind of home mechanic.

Also, RE said they recommend rear shocks that compress 14.5-24.5" and front shocks that compress 15.5-16.5". I'm leaning towards the OME long travel shocks, will the fit the bill? Any other advice?

I would get Bilsteins over OME's. IMHO they ride better (and look better too). Depending on the shock you'll save some cash if you go with the Bilsteins. A 5125 or 5150 would do fine for you.

Basically all SYE kits are the same so i'd just buy from the cheapest and most reliable place. When you install the SYE you'll need a new rear driveshaft but a front driveshaft from a cherokee with an automatic will work perfectly and save you about $200 in the long run.

you may want to look into upgrading from the stock trackbar. theres mainly two types of SYEs: the hack n taps (cheaper), or the full SYE kits. RE makes a HnT if i recall correctly, or some good full SYE kits are Advance adapters or JBconversions. i remember seeing one kit that did a combo with a TomWoods driveshaft for a decent price, dont remember the vendor though

Last edited:
I needed 2 degree shims, the transfer case drop, the SYE(Advance adapters),and driveshaft. Start with the shims & tc drop. Go with the SYE & driveshaft if you need to. The degree of vibrations you can tollerate will dictate how much you upgrade. Enjoy your RE 3.5 superflex, I do. Every XJ is different. I had a OME shock fail after 3 yrs of mild trails.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions. On second thought, I might just drop my T-case & go with shims - seems like an easier fix for a small lift.

Typically a t-case drop is a band-air or temp fix. Especially on the late model XJ's. It would be best to go with a SYE and driveshaft. I believe tom woods sells a sye/driveshaft kit.
An adjustable track bar is also recommended. I do not have one yet, but I recommend the ironman4x4fab.com bolt-in track bar.
From the census from what msot say, I'll be going with some bilsteins. The 5100s will bolt right in. The 5125 or 5150s will need shock adapters/bar pin eliminators.

I have that exact kit dont even bother with a t case drop save your money and get an sye i ordered one from advanced adapters with a tom woods drive shaft for 450 shipped. Get an adjustable track bar but get a double shear one i got the RE trackbar single sheared and the frame end of the trackbar is always coming loose. Im running Re monotubes and i like them. Before you do the lift get 3 cans of Pb blaster and spray all the bolts down every day for 3 weeks before you install it and use two of the cans save the other one for the day of the install. Your going to break the upper shock mounts most likely so be prepared to have a ride to the hardware store. If you have any other questions give me a pm

Thanks for your opinions. On second thought, I might just drop my T-case & go with shims - seems like an easier fix for a small lift.

First,what t-case do you have?
Second,97+ models have more problems with driveline vibes.
Third,you have a 2000-01 LP D30 which can be troublesome in its own right.

Go slow and test drive between mods where you can. That will let you know if a problem developes where to look for a fix. I don't consider this a ''small lift'' if you are a brakes & oil change kind of guy. RE kits are traditionally higher than advertised when first installed. Take stock measurements before you start. Study & follow the online instructions ahead of time & X2 on the PB blaster. My initial kit install I did by my self in a weekend,although I had pre-loosened all the hardware ahead if time. The SYE & driveshaft I left to the local 4WD shop. That way they evaluated what I had done up to that point and fine tuned from there.
Rick

Last edited:
I have a RE 3.5" Super-Flex kit on my '96. I went with OME shocks and have no complaints. For my SYE, I went with an Advanced Adapters HD, and added a Tom Woods driveshaft.

BTW, I needed 6 degree shims to get my pinion 2 degrees less than my driveshaft. I have an auto trans, NP231 transfer case, and 8.25" rear axle.

Back