• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shims

xjsport96

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have a 96 cherokee and im running an RE 3.5 superflex ive been running it for about 6 months with no vibes but ive decided to order an Sye and cv shaft. Anyway my question is what degree shims should i run for this setup. From this kit i really got about 4 inches of lift FYI.

You want the pinion and the Tcase output to be equil in degrees, but opposite. You'll have to measure first. You may not even need any shims.

Sorry, not true when you go to a CV shaft. You want the pinion joint angle to be virtually straight, about 1* down is usually perfect to allow the pinion to rotate up slightly under power.

Regarding shims, you'll have to check your angle and then decide.

from my research, with a double cardan style driveshaft your pinion angle should be pointed 2* below the angle of your drive shaft i.e. if your drive shaft comes down at a 45* angle your pinion angle should be 43* so shims arent gonna cut it. the reason for this is so that the needle bearings in your u joints will not just sit there and will move around and get lubrication and not wear in just one spot

Last edited:
Back