• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle

wingnut3k

NAXJA Forum User
recently did an engine swap and haven't been able to get my jeep to idle how i want it, and it blubbers a little on take off, but once under way it seems to do fine...i thought i was a tooth out on the distributor but i pulled it and tried it a tooth in both directions and either way was worse, just replaced the map sensor, what else could it be?

Provide the year/engine for most accurate responses. Plenty of differences through the years.

Some basics though....

*What is status of tuneup hardware (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, filters)
*Check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge; compare numbers to factory spec
*Cleaning throttle body and idle air control is always a good idea

it's a 93 and the engine is out of a 93 as well...cap and rotor are about a year old the wires look fine but i'll go ahead and get a set and plugs were done when i swapped the engine...i'll have to get a fuel pressure gauge and get back with yall...i'll pull the throttle body today and clean it out...will it run 180 out on the timing?

update...found a tee in a vacuum line that is open, it is behind the battery...does anyone have a diagram so i can find out where the line that is supposed to be connected to it runs?

Well, things that it might go to are your vacuum reservoir behind the front bumper passenger's side, and your cruise control.

Of course, if you told us what engine/accessories you have, as requested earlier, you might get better answers to your questions.

sorry about not posting the specifics...and as embarrassing as it is i found the problem, a plug wire...i guess since i did an engine swap i didn't think it could be something so simple

The Devil is in the Details. :firedevil

Glad you found your problem.

Back