• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem

Krieger

NAXJA Forum User
So today I changed my rotor cap wires plugs and when I go to turn it on the starter is going but the engine won't turn over

I'm getting a good spark out of the starter coil and when I am turning the car on I hear it try to start but it just bogs down.

I've followed the setup shown in the haynes manual for the wire to cap locations..does anyone have any ideas as to what I can try to get this thing running?

Oh and it's a 1988 xj with the i6

Thanks

So today I changed my rotor cap wires plugs and when I go to turn it on the starter is going but the engine won't turn over

I think there may be a problem with the description of your problem.

The terminology "TURN OVER" means the engine starting circuit actually physically cranks the engine. "TURN OVER" doesn't have anything to do with the actual starting/firing of the engine.

I'm assuming that your engine is turning over, but it is not starting after your tuneup?

For this type of situation, where the engine ran before the work was performed, you gotta look at the work you did. If the engine ran before you started this job, the no-start is related to the upgrade of tuneup hardware.

Verify that you have everything connected properly. You'll find it.

Last edited:
wires are probably in wrong. Haynes is wrong with the wire location on the cap . . .at least for a 98. I believe one is located nearest the battery . . .I think.

Well I wasn't getting a spark to the plug with the new rotor so I changed it out to the old one and now I'm getting a spark to the plug but still same thing

sorry about the misuse of the word but yes that is how I meant it

if haynes is wrong that would make sense...short of googling it (which I will) does anyone know a reputable site where I can find the correct wiring order on the cap?

Murphy's rule of automotive repair No. 10: replace one wire at a time so you don't screw things up.

Murphy's rules of automotive repair No. 1 and 2: never rely on a Haynes or Chilton manual.

Murphy's rule of automotive repair, XJ sub-rule: To Young, To Old, Just Right--the 4.0 firing order is 1-5-3-4-2-6. Rotation is clockwise.

Er I tried putting the wires in the order and got nothing then I tried, as per a friend, the order 1-5-6-3-2-4... With that the truck would just about turn on but backfire..so i thnk I'm making progress? Hah

Er I tried putting the wires in the order and got nothing then I tried, as per a friend, the order 1-5-6-3-2-4... With that the truck would just about turn on but backfire..so i thnk I'm making progress? Hah

if it almost fires you probably still have a wire in the incorrect location...also check to make sure the wires are all the way installed and clicked in.

yes that is the order, now find #1 on the cap and go clockwise. The haynes digram shows 1 at i the 6 oclock position if you are standing directly in front of the engine. on my 98 (at least) the 1 is located (i believe) toward the passenger side fender. You'll figure it out.

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 on the 4.0

Pull the No. 1 plug, bring the piston to TDC on the compression stroke--that is the stroke with both valves closed and air will push your thumb away if you hold it over the open spark plug hole. Now put the No. 1 wire on the cap where the rotor lines up, then moving clockwise do 5-3 (not 6) 6 (not 3) 2 and finally 4.

firing_order.jpg

That diagram is what I followed but it wasn't working - so I rotated it one spot clockwise so the first was where the fifth is on that diagram and it started right up with no problems.. Thanks everyone for the input

Back